PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
My trip started in the middle of a 36 hour rain storm. If you are familiar with the PNW it’s common, but irregular for this time of year. After dodging much traffic and to many rain puddles, I arrived 45 min after I left the house.
This is the closest shop to me in good old Tacoma. It’s a small space and it’s corporate tobacco seller. The two girls manning the store were busy filling bacci jars and opening fresh cigar boxes for the humidor. While they were staying busy they both took the time to address my window shopping of tobacco and pipe interests. They had what seemed like a water barrel of basket and estate pipes, not enough time to even go through a quarter of cheapos.
If your like me I want to know what tobacco I am buying when it’s bulk or jar blends. Most shops slap a name they created on the jar when it’s another major company’s blend, kinda irritating. I was surprised that these girl knew exactly the company of most of the stores named blends. Not to many tins but a lot of Seattle Pipe Club. So I got 4 different ounces of bacci, stocked up on pipe cleaners and matches. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My local Tinder Box is in Rockford, IL. and whenever I'm in Rockford I'll stop and pick up pipe cleaners and look to see if they have any tins. I picked up my first tin of Erinmore Flake there...good stuff. As for their "house blends", I like Philosopher and Sherlock's Choice, both English blends.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My privately owned local tobacco shoppe also rebrands some of Lane's bulk, but the tobacconist will tell you which one is 1-Q and which one is RPL-6 if you ask. Others like HGL and BCA are just left with their original denomination. I don't find it irritating; I mean, you ask once and then you know, and, frankly, "Gladstone" sounds way better than "1-Q".

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I was just at local privately owned B&M this morning. They are an old fashioned tobacconist with good variety of product related to pipe smoking and cigars. They are knowledgeable about their product as they are also pipe smokers. It is nice to be able to discuss blends you haven't tried with someone who has tried them and can tell you other blends they are similar too.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I was just at local privately owned B&M this morning. They are an old fashioned tobacconist with good variety of product related to pipe smoking and cigars. They are knowledgeable about their product as they are also pipe smokers. It is nice to be able to discuss blends you haven't tried with someone who has tried them and can tell you other blends they are similar too.

Agree. And it would be good to know where this shop is! Or where abouts you live; then presumably we can figure it out!

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Agree. And it would be good to know where this shop is! Or where abouts you live; then presumably we can figure it out!
I am in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, so a little off the beaten path for most. There are a few forum members from my city or close by who are probably already familiar with the shop, Burlington on Whyte. Most non-Canadian visitors would not enjoy the Canadian prices.

I have updated my profile to include a location.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
More than several Forums members started pipe smoking by buying pipes and blends from Tinder Box. I did. I bought several pipes from them over the years: My first a smooth bent pot I still own and smoke; a Britannia smooth Dublin that's still going; and one or two others. At my franchise in the mall, they couldn't allow smoking, and over the years the revenue stream went to their cigar humidor, but they still had some pipes and bulk blends and tins. They moved in the mall then finally closed. Now there is a Tinder Box in a nearby city, but I'm not sure if it is the same management or another. Service was always friendly but sometimes preoccupied or, with part-timers, not knowledgeable, but I enjoyed it. Fortunately we still have a long-long-time independent pipe shop that thrives in its gentrified neighborhood next to a bicycle shop and tattoo parlor. A pipe shop is a wonderful venue.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I am in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, so a little off the beaten path for most. There are a few forum members from my city or close by who are probably already familiar with the shop, Burlington on Whyte. Most non-Canadian visitors would not enjoy the Canadian prices.

I have updated my profile to include a location.
Cheapest I've found in Ontario was a small kiosk in town mall. $38.00+tx for a tin. What's a tin run you up in Calgary?

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Our local Tinder Box was bought out by a successful, local cigar store. It's got better cigars now, but the pipe stuff has all but gone away.

• Sad
Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My privately owned local tobacco shoppe also rebrands some of Lane's bulk, but the tobacconist will tell you which one is 1-Q and which one is RPL-6 if you ask. Others like HGL and BCA are just left with their original denomination. I don't find it irritating; I mean, you ask once and then you know, and, frankly, "Gladstone" sounds way better than "1-Q".
one of the first pipe smokers I knew lived in Texas for a while and their local called 1-Q "Ladies love it". Which has probably lead to at least a few Laurel and Hardy type situations.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Holy smokes, $45 a tin. Online in the U.S. they average about $12 plus shipping and sometimes state tax. That higher price would temper my smoking schedule.
I mostly buy pipes and accessories at my B&M and occasionally a rarer tobacco that is available. Most of my tobacco is purchased when my wife or I travel to the US. That said I usually only have the time to smoke on weekends and am even more limited when winter really settles in. Many factors contribute to a low bowl/week count, cost is not one of the larger ones. Sure, lower cost is always better, but some things are what they are, you gotta pay to play. If I was really concerned about cost I would have stopped buying pipes a while ago and started using that money for tobacco.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
What is the brand and name of Philosopher?

Is this it?

This was what Angel Eyes (Lee Van Cleef) was actually smoking in those Spaghetti Westerns?

Definitely not a relaxing lighting ritual there at about a minute in. For Angel Eyes though I’m sure this kind of thing was just another day at the office.

:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.