PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Dude. That is like going to Disneyland. I love those pipes. I care much less about the likeness of the one, and just love the 'Merica stemwork...
I want a Meer "Dunhill" (pipe is a dude, smoking a pipe of a dude, smoking a pipe that is a dude).
They used to be $450 and are now $700. Tht is out of reach. Sadness.
The one likeness pipe of the bearded guy was really beautiful.
Thank you for sharing your visit.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
IMP doesn't have likeness pipes. The presidential one is just a gift. I shared it because I thought people might think it's cool to see a pipe they'd never normally get to see or buy.

I'm sure every president before our current had them. Julius Vesz was another international who carved pipes for leaders as well as the Italian...I forget his name? Armelli?
His likeness pipes are all from Sevket and his brothers, Baglan and 7-8 other carvers IMP carries. The Sevket ones are expensive. I held a $5000+/- one about as large as my arm. A lot of the premier carvers now carve for the Chinese. It's hard to resist someone who will pay you 3-5+ times what you normally get paid. The Chinese are also buying up meerschaum mines and "giving" blocks to these carvers. They give carvers contracts like professional athletes. Cash upfront. So hold on to your intricately carved pieces.
The owner, Baruk is a Servi, and the Servi's have been in the Meerschaum business for generations. He's known many Turkish carvers since he was a young child. He has stories! These stories were probably the coolest part of the visit.
He bought IMP 4+ years ago? It's his main focus. I didn't realize how high quality the IMP pipes were until I had a few hundred in my lap and heard about the process. The carvers, engineering, german stems etc...

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Thanks for all the pics Tango, there are at least six pipes in those pics that I would buy, I will be checking IMP out. Also, I love the rough carved rim on your meer especially.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
His likeness pipes are all from Sevket and his brothers, Baglan and 7-8 other carvers IMP carries. The Sevket ones are expensive. I held a $5000+/- one about as large as my arm. A lot of the premier carvers now carve for the Chinese. It's hard to resist someone who will pay you 3-5+ times what you normally get paid. The Chinese are also buying up meerschaum mines and "giving" blocks to these carvers. They give carvers contracts like professional athletes. Cash upfront. So hold on to your intricately carved pieces.
8O
The Chinese market doesn't get enough attention, but that is starting to change now I think. There is also a lot of interest in aged tobaccos over there. This is all gleaned from various threads and opinions though!

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
Awesome!

Thanks for sharing. I'm very jealous.

IMP has been at the top of my PAD list for a while. I've just been waiting for that perfect one to pop up. Does he do commissions?

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
It's easy to see the allure of these. I'm yet to get one. Well, a nice one and as an adult smoker. I had a small souvenir one when I was a young boy visiting Turkey. I can see myself with a smooth classic straight billiard type at some point. Preferably with an aqua blue stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.