PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
So, my visit to IMP headquarters (5 miles from my front door) was a success. I think I made a friend and I had a wonderful time. Burak and his family were so kind and welcoming. We talked about pipes, local schools and politics in Turkey. He'll be at the Richmond pipe show, go and introduce yourself.
He is going to join our forum. He is familiar with it and seemed very happy that many of you guys are so pleased with his IMP brand.
This is a gift going to Donald Trump/ The White House Museum. Very cool of Burak to let me show this to you.
kyWiRw0.jpg

Eebkf92.jpg

So, We started looking at pipes. Within an hour, I was barricaded in the living room surrounded on all sides by Meerschaum Pipes ranging from a few hundred dollars to several thousands. Burak is so knowledgeable and passionate about the industry. His family has been in the business for many years. He is personal friends with many of Turkey's most well known carvers. He's known them since he was a child.
Padibyz.jpg

Burak loves this pipe. He said it is one of his favorites.

4DSuuhZ.jpg

He described what a feat it is to get a pipe like this to balance.

QgOu3q6.jpg

A Sevket ( Hope I spelled that correctly)

yFzRJKQ.jpg

109P7bE.jpg

This is the one I left with. After looking at several hundred, this one was the one I had to have. I love it!

gMqAfYc.jpg

These are some reverse calabash meers you'll soon be seeing in your favorite places that sell IMP. I have one on reserve. These are gorgeous. I thought of forum member Chasingembers when I saw these.
S5rAssc.jpg

ukbJyRK.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Man that must have been an amazing visit!
I thought of forum member Chasingembers when I saw these.
You thought right. Love this one. Any idea about the asking price?
20180827_225750.jpg

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
I think Smoking pipes has them at $375. If not, they will soon.

Feel free to email him if you see something in a picture here... as some of the pipes aren't "out" yet.

email or call him through his online storefront.
He usually offers a discount at his shows.
If on eBay, you can make an offer.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wow...meer heaven. Great pics...so many really nice looking meers.
It's wonderfully serendipitous that this happened as it did. Thanks for sharing.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Im feeling the call of the White Goddess after reading this post. Beautiful pipes.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Quite a generous interpretation of Donald Trumps head.

Why would Mr. Trump want a pipe carved in the likeness of Fess Parker, ca, 1965?

Of course if it colors everywhere except in the goggle area around his eyes it'll improve the resemblance somewhat.
Looks like a nice visit and some very pretty pipes!

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
It's not uncommon for carvers to make likenesses of world leaders. It isn't an endorsement of their political views. I honestly don't know his feelings on him. We didn't go there. He did remind me that it isn't easy living in Turkey right now.
Let's be careful not make this thread political. It starts with a few innocent jokes, then someone ultimately says " #%$WDRD^D^!!!!!!" and then someone else says "!!!HGGHGHUY!!!!!" and then friendships unravel, the sky caves in and the thread is gone. It always becomes volatile. The pictures will be archived and not seen.
In any case, the carving resembles the president well in person. It gives him some slightly stronger features and thicker hair. It would be my wish to be made 80 pounds lighter if my likeness were being created.
He may see it, but it's really a gift to the White House museum.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Great trip report Tango. Thanks for posting pictures, we sure do love to see the goods.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What a time! I would have a hard time just picking one from that hoard. The best pipes for me always have a little story, or some meaning to them. Not only does that meer you picked look good, it also has a story as well.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I agree. I am not into "likeness" pipes so I will be checking IMP out for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.