PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Took my Uncle to Iwan Ries last week. He used to smoke nails for as long as I had known him, and then quit about 5 years ago. About two years ago he picked up a pipe, and has smoked Maple blends (he was in Arizona, and I believe picked his stuff up from Tinder Box) since. Well, he just moved in with my parents, so when they came down to Chicago (Supposed to be my Mom and her Cousin, spending the day drinking at my apartment...turned into the two of them, my Uncle, My cousin, and her 6 y.o. daughter! Plans obviously had to change) I met up with them, sent the group to Millennium Park, and took my Uncle to Iwan Ries. He looks to me for tobacco suggestions, but isn't willing to step outside of Aros yet, which makes it really hard for me to suggest since I don't smoke many aromatics. But I went with Peterson's Nutty Cut (I remembered a few suggesting it recently here) and it was a success. I also convinced him to pick up an estate he was eyeballing ($60 I believe). Unfortunately, I don't recognize the maker's stamp, and neither did the guys in the shop that day. I thought I'd had a better picture, but this is what I have ATM, if no one can figure out what it is, I'll get some better ones later. So - who makes this pipe, and go for gold, any idea when?

But with that, my Uncle who had previously smoked one Maple Blend he didn't know the name of, and owned one pipe, NOW uses cleaners more frequently, Has Stuliff's Maple Street, Roma Vita, and Peterson's Nutty Cut on rotation, and two pipes to switch between. If I got him there in a month, I expect he'll be collecting and cellaring pretty soon!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If he needs a rotation, Iwan Ries has fine house pipes made by Benton and Savenelli (I believe) at rock bottom prices.

They have nice billiards, Canadians, Dublins, Oom Pauls, in quality briar, Algerian on the Bentons I believe.

Iwan Ries is a great place, long history, and good to deal with.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Iwan Ries is a great place, long history, and good to deal with.
Indeed, I go there often. And I have one of their basket pipes, which is actually one of my favorites that I reach for often.
I just recently was able to convince him that owning more than one pipe was even a thing, let alone a worthwhile thing. I'll pick him up a few once the school year starts and I have some extra $$, but I'm just not able to do so ATM. That being said, I'm a musician in the middle of a graduate program, and he's a retired University teacher and Veteran....so he should just buy himself every pipe I damn well tell him to and be happy about it! :nana:
George Jensen
Thanks Delkhouri!

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
So I was looking around some sites for some estate pipes and I found this:
http://mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee1890.html
It is also $60 and Dave is pretty fair with his pricing so I think your uncle did pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.