PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
So far aside from stuff I already have on hand I've begun to amass some supplies to allow me to start attempting some restoration work.
-Extra Virgin Olive Oil

-Magic Erasers

-various grits of sanding paper the coarsest at 120 grit

- over a 1000 pipe cleaners

-wooden stick (long) swabs

-some plastic bowls

-thick bleach

-high proof alchohol

-nylon hobby type cleaning brushes

-shank brushes

-pipe reamer
A good start?

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That is a good start. The sky is the limit. I'm still adding items to the resto tool box constantly. my latest additions are CA glue and activated charcoal.
I recommend latex gloves unless you want your hands to look like this for a week afterwards.
LIXopPom.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A flat and round needle file(s)

Micromesh papers (I use 8000 and 12000 sheets)

3M wet sandpaper: 600-800-1000-1500-2000 grades

91% Isopropyl alcohol (Walmart)

Sea Salt

Corks/Stoppers for shanks/bowl soaks

Oxyclean liquid
I save the small sliced meat tubs for soaking a pipe and/or stems, nestled in the right position with a folded wash cloth.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
A pipe retort can also help some on your cleaning. Good luck mate and show us your work.
I made a pipe retort out of some tubing I bought at lowes or Home Depot I forget now. I was in my local Ace hardware the other day and saw the same latex tubing sold by the foot, I was so upset since I have about 17 feet of it left. I had to buy 18ft of the stuff since that was the only way they offered it.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Corks and Sea Salt I'll get today. I'm feeling like I have enough to get going. Thanks and yes I'll post as things progress!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I wouldn't use 120 grit on a stem I was trying to restore.Usually 360 is about the coursest you want to use. Even when sanding a bowl to refinish I seldom use anything more course than 360.

Thick bleach? What is that? I use regular old Chlorox bleach and dilute it.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It's like an outdoor bleach, I just got a small bottle and don't know if I'll use it or not.
Thanks for the tip on the grit size, I've got some finer grits on hand.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
As with most any "hobby" the accouterments can spiral and within reason there is no end. Comparatively, you want to have "fun" - take up reloading/bullet casting. I have found PAD/TAD/Pipe accouterments a refreshing change of pace.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Jacks, I know exactly what you mean. I've run the gambit on the reloading thing, fly tying, (which I still find therapeutic until I really need flies, lol). My interest in pipe restoration is self serving, my only agenda is to have the ability to resurrect someone else's crusty old smokers and turn them into my shiny old smokers.
I won't be leasing a building to set up commercial polishing equipment or lathes to turn new stems. I'm more than satisfied to be able to just work at my leisure at breathing some life into someone else's castaways.

professorwheezy

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2013
Yep good start. what you'll find is it depends on what you are looking to do. If its for your own pipes you'll need less, but adding some type of obsidian oil could be helpful. If you are going to buy estate pipes then a retort is a really good idea. I like to believe the boiling alcohol is killing stuff PLUS it can really cut down on the number of pipe cleaners you need to use in cleaning out stems and shanks and alcohol is WAY cheaper than pipe cleaners. If you are going to try and refurbish/resell then a buffer is really a must. That high luster polish is hard to get without the white diamond/carnuba wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.