PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
What a fun thread...

I tend to smoke one bowl a day and prefer right after waking up with a cup or two of strong coffee. I used to be quite varied on my rotation selection and would bounce around from blend to blend, but these days I tend to gravitate to a stout blend and smoke my way through the entire tin/jar before moving on to something new.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Currently, I have 4 or 5 bowls a day during the week and 6 to 8 on weekends. I pretty much always start with a Burley alongside my morning coffee and end the smoking day with an English. In between those two, it can be something of a lottery. I always find benefit when sticking to one or two blends at a time, but too often find myself jumping around a bunch of open tins and jars. Perhaps I'm too suggestible to be on a forum like this ?

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Currently, I have 4 or 5 bowls a day during the week and 6 to 8 on weekends. I pretty much always start with a Burley alongside my morning coffee and end the smoking day with an English. In between those two, it can be something of a lottery. I always find benefit when sticking to one or two blends at a time, but too often find myself jumping around a bunch of open tins and jars. Perhaps I'm too suggestible to be on a forum like this ?
This is pretty much spot on me as well. My daily bowls are more like 1-3 on weekdays and 3-5 on the weekends, and I smoke more DFK blends than latakia blends in the evening as they provide more of the nicotine I'm looking for.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I don't smoke enough to need a daily plan, but I do have to get more strategic to make sure I have some properly dried tobacco ready to smoke. If I have a inclination for a certain blend for my next bowl with enough time for it to dry before my intended time to smoke, then I obviously have my entire 75+ open tin selection to choose from. If not, then I have to rely on the 5 or 6 I had deliberately dried larger amounts of and which are ready to go at any time. The "larger amount" is about an ounce or so, so about 10 bowls worth.

As for what I might want any particular time, no rhyme or reason.

Reactions: ofafeather

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Wow, that is a Virginia filled day. I'm lucky if I get 3 sometimes 4 if it's raining on a weekend.
Always start English, then after lunch a Virginia, and finish off the night with an Aromatic. If I do get a 4th bowl in it's usually another English.
Occasionally I replace the Virginia with a good Burley such as Jack Knife or Pegasus.
But that's only on weekends, weekdays I'm lucky if I have a single bowl. Most often an English.

Thanks for sharing, always interesting to me to hear other peoples routine, also makes me feel better about how much I smoke LOL.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
For me it’s the opposite that works.
I like to start my day with a stronger blend, usually a burley, and coffee, obviously.

The first smoke is always the best for me, when my taste buds are fresh.

By the end of the day I finish sometimes with a light aro, or some Carter hall and that’s it.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I usually only smoke one bowl a day in the morning with coffee. However, on the weekend it might be more. My one rule is to never follow a Latakia blend with an aromatic. The aromatic will have zero flavor for me following an English blend. If I want both, the aromatic has to be first.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I smoke 5 to 7 bowls most every day. I have a reasonably well defined strategy for what I'm going to smoke and more important, the order I smoke in. I started this when I used to smoke the same amount of cigars each day.

I smoke in order of strength, milder to stronger. My first bowl of the day will be a milder, light Virginia such as Vauen No 14, Wessex Gold Virginia Flake or Gold Slice or Mac Baren Virginia Flake or Vanilla Roll Cake. Something light and sweet.

My second bowl will be a step up in strength, perhaps OGS, F&T CVP or MB HH Pure Virgina. Something along those lines. OGS is rather versatile, depending upon my mood, it is enjoyable just about anywhere in the rotation. My third bowl is generally a lighter brown Virginia such as Dunhill Virginia Flake, Aylesbury Classic Flake, F&T Special Brown Flake or SG BBF.

Fourth Bowl would be a fuller bodied brown Virginia such as Wessex Campaign DF, Astleys 44 or F&T Vintage. Fifth bowl would often be a Red Virginia, C&D Carolina Red Flake, McClelland 40th or SG FVF.

Sixth and seventh bowls are something stronger and fuller, at least to me. Maybe a VaPer such as SG SJF or a VaOr, VaBur or VaOrBur such as Eight States, MB Stockton, London Burley, Sunday Picnic, Sun Bear, ODF, Ascanian No 1 or something along those lines. Some days, those are my fifth and sixth bowls.

I usually keep two tins or jars of each type open and smoke through those before moving another into the smoking rotation. I also open a tin or two of each type to breathe and dry out a bit for two or three weeks as I smoke through the ones in the active rotation. Right now, open in my smoking rotation are Wessex Gold Slice, Vauen No 14, OGS, Aylesbury Classic Flake, Wessex Campaign DF, Carolina RVF, McClelland 40th, HU Dockworker, Sun Bear, SG FVF and SJF and Stockton. The past couple of days, I finished up tins of Wessex RVF and Eight States.

I've found this works well for me and it makes choosing what tobacco I reach for quite simple.
I smoke 4 bowls a day, first one about 11 a.m. with morning coffee is always Capstan Navy Cut, second one could be full Virginia plug, Eriks reserve or Peterson flake, third one, again Full Virginia plug or Comoy's Cornish mixture, last bowl of the day is nearly always Revor plug or Cornish mixture if I didn't have one earlier, Don't pull the plug !.