PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
CE23468E-6F35-46E9-B6C3-A54FB2BAF973.jpeg
Does this look like a growing, young tobacco plant? The possums (or some similar creatures) have put my tobacco planting efforts through the wringer and this plant, alone, has survived to tell the tale. At least… I’m hoping it’s not just a weed!

Sadly, I don’t actually know what varietal it is… and that’s a story in and of itself. All to say, it’s a Va of some kind and I can’t believe it’s alive!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
If you’re feeling adventurous, you could give the bottom lugs a haircut, say take a third to half off them.

Also, is this planted in the same mix you used to raise seeds? Or did you transplant it? Only reason I ask is that if it is the same mix, it looks like you might have a late bloomer popping up

6B7D6BB7-F79F-4D14-86C4-1033A12EE1AC.jpeg

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Hey thanks! That’s great news! I can’t believe it. Yes, I put this one and the same pot with the dirt from my previous “non sprouting” seeds… but maybe a new one is sprouting. I’m in Fl so I was hoping that winter wouldn’t be an issue. I can’t wait for this Spring because I’m going to have a backyard full of tobacco planted seeds!

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
By the way, I bought and planted a bunch of seeds from different Virginias. And I labeled each one. None of them survived. So, I dumped all the “dirt” in a pot and figured I’d wait until the Spring to try again. Well, a few weeks later I see this “weed” growing and it looks prettier than any weed I’ve seen. I told my wife, “I think one of my tobacco plants made it!” And here we are. Do I know what kind of plant it is! No! Does it matter? No! Something is growing and I’m going to harvest it, dry it, stove it, and smoke it!

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
View attachment 191686
Does this look like a growing, young tobacco plant? The possums (or some similar creatures) have put my tobacco planting efforts through the wringer and this plant, alone, has survived to tell the tale. At least… I’m hoping it’s not just a weed!

Sadly, I don’t actually know what varietal it is… and that’s a story in and of itself. All to say, it’s a Va of some kind and I can’t believe it’s alive!
I think you might need a tad more to make this viable.

• Haha
Reactions: SBC
Awesome... I am not planting anything this year. Well, except maybe a kitchen garden. Just no commercial crops or labor intensive tobacco. Hell, I still have a couple of hundred pounds from last year that I need to process, and we have plans to travel a bunch this summer.

So, you guys all need to step up and show how easy it is to grow tobacco.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I just received a bunch of seeds from @Arthur Frayn. I told him that I was most interested in VAs and Orientals.
For VAs I received "Frog Eye" and "Cherry Red."
For Orientals I received Bursa, Prilep, Samsun Maden, and Kasturi.

My shade/sunlight situation isn't good, so I'll probably just do some moveable pots this year while I decide whether to drop some trees.

But I'm in the northwoods of WI, so it's hardly time yet...

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
It's actually quite easy to grow tobacco. As a noob I only grew burley :D boy the leaves are amazing and big. Now they hang airdryed for around 4 years cause I never went to fermentation:D they don't mold though. Maybe another time I get some Virginia and orient and really blend it and get into it.
But boy the fermentation... I just could not find a method that fits me and is not science :D
Gj BTW keep it up

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
My plant as of today! The leaves are very sticky. No flower has budded on top though!?View attachment 201061View attachment 201062
Also see that you give the plant more space. The roots will be impressive!!! It's a nightmare to get them out of the earth :D but they need more space. Virgina and burley get big oriental not so much.
If you let the have flowers nikotin will go down and they will grow next year again :D it's quite hard to get rid of it and I live in austria a country with a real winter :D

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've always wanted to grow tobacco. I even bought some seeds and then forgot about them. I tried planting some last fall, but nothing happened. But I like seeing you guys growing tobacco in small spaces! I may have to try again!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I think you have reached the "fish or cut bait" stage. It is going to be some real work form here on out if you want to raise some tobacco for your own use.