PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Damn you're good. Makes my excel file look like a tech potato. Which is what it is!

Watch the heavy Latakia presence in your cellar, I smoked Nightcap for 10 years, and more than half of my smoking used to be Latakia blends, when all of a sudden a month ago I can barely stomach them, they all taste like licking a dirty fireplace... :( Luckily I sort of felt it coming before buying more so only got about 500g of English blends. Maybe it'll come back in the winter, who knows.
It's interesting hearing about Latakia perceptions from people. Usually I hear BBQ, campfire, incense, and similar terms. I've always equated it to creosote and I imagine the reason why I only like it sparingly in blends.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It's interesting hearing about Latakia perceptions from people. Usually I hear BBQ, campfire, incense, and similar terms. I've always equated it to creosote and I imagine the reason why I only like it sparingly in blends.
Of course there are the real experts here, read JimInks's reviews to see the adjectives he uses on Latakia, often: "musty, woody, smoky, incense-like sweet, leathery, earthy". I'm not that advanced but reading and smoking and more smoking, and some more reading made it possible to understand the "why" these adjectives are used, but not discern them clearly. Incidentally getting that understanding made me appreciate the nuances of pipe tobacco more.

BBQ is not a smell/taste I'd ever associate with Latakia, more with Dark Fired Kentucky, and not in its raw form, more when in combo with Virginias and pressed/steamed.

Back to your point, creosote is what I get from Latakia in a bad day, and lately it seems this perception has stuck with me and I don't enjoy it much.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
@eljimmy Get a randomized app for your phone, load all your blends in there, and let it do the work for you when you can’t make up your mind.

I use one called “Mixing Bag.” It helped settle the inability to figure out what to smoke next when I was a couple months in. After getting into it about a year ago, I came home to this some 2 months after deciding to get busy...

3831CADF-CF35-4490-90FB-28B05E652947.jpeg

At the time, I thought it was an insanely large amount. This is the first time I’ve looked at this photo in almost a year, and I find myself thinking, “That looks like a reasonably manageable amount of tobacco. Kinda wish I could go back to that point so it wouldn’t be so overwhelming.”

@eljimmy Get a randomized app for your phone, load all your blends in there, and let it do the work for you when you can’t make up your mind.

I use one called “Mixing Bag.” It helped settle the inability to figure out what to smoke next when I was a couple months in. After getting into it about a year ago, I came home to this some 2 months after deciding to get busy...

View attachment 80777

At the time, I thought it was an insanely large amount. This is the first time I’ve looked at this photo in almost a year, and I find myself thinking, “That looks like a reasonably manageable amount of tobacco. Kinda wish I could go back to that point so it wouldn’t be so overwhelming.”

Being overwhelmed is not a healthy state in which to reside but never fear, help is here! Simply package up your excess and send it to me. I can very easily store it with my 238 pounds already cellared.

Go on. Unburden yourself.... puffy

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Being overwhelmed is not a healthy state in which to reside but never fear, help is here! Simply package up your excess and send it to me. I can very easily store it with my 238 pounds already cellared.

Go on. Unburden yourself.... puffy

Would that I could. Unfortunately, however, I’m fresh out of flatbed trucks to handle the task and the shipping costs would be prohibitive, at this point. It seems the only reasonable course of action to exit this state of being overwhelmed is to burn it all, in very small batches, perhaps 2-4 grams at a time, in order to keep the process manageable.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California

View attachment 80777

That randomizer would be cool! I actually slowed down my purchasing so I highly doubt I'll reach most of you guys. hahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.