PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I’ve smoked a lot of C and D, both fresh and aged, and while many have been quite good, I have yet to taste a single one, small batch, one off, or otherwise that has rivaled their good old staple, Bayou Morning Flake.

Bayou Morning Flake and Sunset Harbor...both are at the top of the C&D list.

Reactions: BROBS

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
It’s a decent tobacco. I can tell the VA is young and tastes like a brown paper bag but they have fought this away somewhat by adding casings that negate this problem. The tequila gives it a slight saltiness not at all unlike an aged VA. The honey works a sweetness that covers up the unsweetened character of young VA. A smart solution to their problem with VAs. Gotta be tough to only have 2 to work with. Bravo. ?
Maybe it's time for another stoved tin experiment?

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
My C&D Small Batch Sun Bear (2020) arrived. Here are my first impressions of it after a couple bowls with just a little bit of dry time (could probably have used a touch more though). Lightly sweet and very smooth to start. Definitely more flavors and sweetness than just straight Virginia tobacco, but nothing super obvious at first. The dry tequila/alcohol edge is showing a bit now, seems to be accented after taking a sip of beer (pairing nicely with the New Belgium 1985 IPA!). Some floral undertones showing as well. I'm trying to push this a little bit to start to see where it starts to bite or get too hot. Still pretty damn smooth which is surprising for a fresh out of the tin C&D Virginia blend. Also a bit of a spicy tickle in the throat, probably from the Basma. Some light nuttiness starting, probably from the Izmir. Wow, definitely more nutty and malty after the first 25% or so along with some more spiciness. The orientals are definitely shining though more now, but are fairly soft and subtle overall likely due to already having been aged 6-7 years. The Virginia with with the honey is stickier than the C&D Carolina Red Flake (2019) though. It's stuck/caramelized to the side of the pipe even worse than the what CRF did. Way more flavorful and enjoyable to smoke though (side note to self... I revisited the CRF a few weeks ago and love the tin note, but can't find the enjoyment in smoking it yet!). Midway through there is honey sweetness still, more spicy and floral notes, a bit of bread crust-like flavor; no incense flavors though which is an Oriental leaf flavor that I love in tobacco, but also know that usually more from Samsun and Yenidje leaf. I'm not quite loving the way this tobacco finishes. It becomes woody, slightly harsh, and medicinal, but isn't the worst I've had in that respect. Maybe it's because I purposely pushed it somewhat on this the first bowl (yes, a bit better on the second bowl). Seems to be a solid mild-medium flavor and strength blend. Overall, this is a very enjoyable blend. Is it all that and a bag of chips? No, but it's quite smooth and easily a repeatable smoke. It doesn't have some of the Oriental punch like Balkan Supreme, but that's okay since that's not what this blend is meant to be. Will revisit in a few weeks after the tin has been opened and allowed to breathe a bit. I really look forward to seeing how this tobacco continues to develop as it is quite subtle and complex.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My C&D Small Batch Sun Bear (2020) arrived. Here are my first impressions of it after a couple bowls with just a little bit of dry time (could probably have used a touch more though). Lightly sweet and very smooth to start. Definitely more flavors and sweetness than just straight Virginia tobacco, but nothing super obvious at first. The dry tequila/alcohol edge is showing a bit now, seems to be accented after taking a sip of beer (pairing nicely with the New Belgium 1985 IPA!). Some floral undertones showing as well. I'm trying to push this a little bit to start to see where it starts to bite or get too hot. Still pretty damn smooth which is surprising for a fresh out of the tin C&D Virginia blend. Also a bit of a spicy tickle in the throat, probably from the Basma. Some light nuttiness starting, probably from the Izmir. Wow, definitely more nutty and malty after the first 25% or so along with some more spiciness. The orientals are definitely shining though more now, but are fairly soft and subtle overall likely due to already having been aged 6-7 years. The Virginia with with the honey is stickier than the C&D Carolina Red Flake (2019) though. It's stuck/caramelized to the side of the pipe even worse than the what CRF did. Way more flavorful and enjoyable to smoke though (side note to self... I revisited the CRF a few weeks ago and love the tin note, but can't find the enjoyment in smoking it yet!). Midway through there is honey sweetness still, more spicy and floral notes, a bit of bread crust-like flavor; no incense flavors though which is an Oriental leaf flavor that I love in tobacco, but also know that usually more from Samsun and Yenidje leaf. I'm not quite loving the way this tobacco finishes. It becomes woody, slightly harsh, and medicinal, but isn't the worst I've had in that respect. Maybe it's because I purposely pushed it somewhat on this the first bowl (yes, a bit better on the second bowl). Seems to be a solid mild-medium flavor and strength blend. Overall, this is a very enjoyable blend. Is it all that and a bag of chips? No, but it's quite smooth and easily a repeatable smoke. It doesn't have some of the Oriental punch like Balkan Supreme, but that's okay since that's not what this blend is meant to be. Will revisit in a few weeks after the tin has been opened and allowed to breathe a bit. I really look forward to seeing how this tobacco continues to develop as it is quite subtle and complex.

Nice review!

Reactions: gervais and trubka2
Status
Not open for further replies.