PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
It is still a very small, cheap and -because I still have a cold- half unsmoked, pipe collection.

3 cobs and 2 Mr. Brogs'

I asked my father to make me a rack too, what do you think? :puffy:
12733385_10153467100355922_1172587685794882106_n.jpg

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Thank you stanlaurel! I need a clean sinus to enjoy them too! :eek:

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Welcome Grue!
Nothing wrong with Cobs or Mr. Brog pipes; everyone starts someplace and these are all good selections to get you started.
What are your pipe collecting / smoking goals? More pipes? Variety of tobaccos? Both?
Enjoy and nice pipe rack from Dad!

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Thank you lifesizehobbit! I just wish to find a few blends to enjoy. Just a bowl after work and/or dinner, no more than 1-2 per day anyway. :)
stanlaurel, I doubt that... :mrgreen:

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I just wish to find a few blends to enjoy.
Ha! You're going to get a lot of suggestions.
Depending on your smoking background, pipe tobacco is very much like wine and the tobacco blends themselves are like the grapes they're made from. There is everything from flavor "less" to flavor full. It's a taste thing you'll develop over time.
Some gentle starting points:

McClelland's 5100 Red Cake

Boswell's Mild English or Northwoods

Boswell's Best which is a mild aromatic

Lane 1Q
Enjoy the journey!

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Thank you again for the suggestions!
So far I've tried:
Skandinavik Mixture - I didn't like it but because of it I kind of learned to sip instead of dragging since it bit me something ferocious.
Amphora Full Aroma - I liked it but I can't enjoy the whole bowl, I lose it somewhere after the half of it.
Erinmore Balkan Mixture - I like it a lot but it is quite strong.
I also have ordered and are on the way:
Century/Planta - California Dream (Orange)

JF Germains - Rich Dark Flake
:)
(Please excuse my English, I'm Greek..)

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Grue, if you're a fan of the aromatics. Give the Molto Dolce from Sutliff Private Stock a try. You'll want to let it sit out for a day or s0 to dry a bit (just open the tin), but it has amazing flavor.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Thank you sean81, I noted it down along with lifesizehobbit's.
I looked quickly through 2-3 UK vendors and didn't find it though.. :/

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Try www.pipesandcigars.com I'm not sure if they ship internationally, I looked at their website and it is silent in that respect. However, I'm sure that there are people in the pipe smoking community that would gladly take shipment of your choice tobac and send it on through (assuming you could work out the details around paying for the international shipping).

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
One other thing. I've never looked into the shipping laws regarding international shipping of tobacco. That being said, the folks at pipesandcigars.com are very responsive. You could email them and find out if there are any restrictions that would preclude them from being able to ship directly to you. If there are, they might be able to ship to a tobacco shop near you.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I might do that, yes...
In the near future though, I don't have the money now and I think that starting with 4 blends is enough for a few months. :)

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Grue, if you're a fan of the aromatics. Give the Molto Dolce from Sutliff Private Stock a try. You'll want to let it sit out for a day or s0 to dry a bit (just open the tin), but it has amazing flavor.
Hey Sean,
Thanks for the recommendation. I love aromatics and haven't tried this one yet. Just bought a can today and can't wait to give it a try!
Cheers,

Jared

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Thanks jvnshr, I'll keep it in mind. I think someone else might need it more. :)

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Very nice...I'd say you're off and running for sure. Nice rack that your pa made too. :puffy:

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Thank you jkrug!

I told him that his creation passed with flying colours in the community and he practically glowed from pride. :-D

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
The order of Century - California Dream and JF Germains - Rich Dark Flake arrived from GQ Tobaccos and the first thing I did was to put the wonderfully smelling contents in jars. First time I did it too, not for preservation since they will be smoked quite fast I think, but because the plastic pouches had a gross photograph of dead people next to the health warning. What's up with that?

I don't think that I will ever order from them again...

Status
Not open for further replies.