PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was studying the pipe wall at my local independent pipe shop a few years ago, and the owner asked me if I saw anything I liked, and I told him I was looking for something I didn't like. Shear variety gives me the itch.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I never learned to stop buying pipes, but I did learn to buy those less costly. I bought from Marty Pulvers during the last years I smoked, usually pipes for less than $100.00. It's so easy to spend more money than you should on them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don’t think I could bring myself to buy pipes that I never intended to smoke. Even if it was an unsmoked Bo Nordh, I’d at least smoke it on occasion.
Mostly interested in meers so far. Pretty to look at but I don't care for how they smoke. Too many decades of buying pipes and knowing what I like to smoke. I have a few artisans for smokables but the meers will be collectibles.

Reactions: petes03
Aug 1, 2012
I don’t think I could bring myself to buy pipes that I never intended to smoke. Even if it was an unsmoked Bo Nordh, I’d at least smoke it on occasion.
I bought a couple pipes with no intention of smoking them...then I smoked them as I couldn't help myself.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Mostly interested in meers so far. Pretty to look at but I don't care for how they smoke. Too many decades of buying pipes and knowing what I like to smoke. I have a few artisans for smokables but the meers will be collectibles.
I could probably get onboard with collecting meers without smoking them. A lot of them are amazing works of art, with some being museum quality. I’ve owned a few meers, and while they do smoke good, they’re just not really my thing.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've entered a stage of buying pipes that I never intend to smoke.

If I had the money I would undoubtedly be a non-smokling collector. As aesthetically;ly beautiful objects, pipes have gotten inside me and commanded my attention as few objects have. I ignored them for a decade, feeling that the real pleasure in pipe smoking was tobacco; any pipe would do. So I collected tobacco. But the posts of the guys who were interested in pipes finally got my attention. So I started learning about them by studying them on websites with no real method beyond compare and contrast. So now I know what I like and don't like, and why.

I bought a couple pipes with no intention of smoking them...then I smoked them as I couldn't help myself.

Isn't this affliction delightfully absurd and fun? Of course you smoked these pipes that you intended not to smoke. They had your number and began calling out to you the moment they entered the house. "We're here. . .come see us. . .you know you want to. . .we are your fate, your destiny. . .We're here. . .come see us."

Reactions: Chasing Embers