PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I had been sampling a lot of different blends of aromatics, and while liking some of them, they always seemed lacking. The added flavoring would wane as I smoked down the bowl, and I was left with nothing but an acrid, bitter taste towards the end. The common denominator to these blends was that they contained burley, so I concluded that I must not like burley. I've tried Half & Half, a burley and bright blend, and never cared much for it.

But then I made a wonderful discovery, a jar of tobacco I had set aside a year ago, labeled “BL/WB.” I tried it in one of my corn cob pipes, and was pleasantly surprised by the experience. It was mellow, but not lacking in flavor. It smoked well, not needing the frequent relights which some tobaccos require. The taste was, as many describe, a nutty flavor. There's a somewhat earthy taste as well. Another thing about BL/WB is that it smokes the same all the way to the bottom of the bowl. If anything, it improves somewhat towards the end, with a subtle taste of cocoa married to the nutty flavor. BL/WB burns down to a fine white ash with very little dottle.

BL/WB burns easily but not quickly, so the smoker is not required to constantly puff on his pipe, or risk its going out. The result is that BL/WB lives up to its name, in that there is normally no tongue bite with it.

The original tobacco I smoked was aged a year, but I have bought more of it and have not experienced any decline in this fine tobacco's attributes. This has become my go-to tobacco. Burleys collectively have been labeled “codger” blends. If my smoking experience is reduced to BL/WB in a corn cob pipe, I won't consider myself deprived.

Status
Not open for further replies.