Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
This weekend I was practicing my social distancing by goin on a nice bicycle ride. Long story short, I got in a bike accident. Nothing too serious. Some scrapes and cuts and twisted my knee. Later that night, I went to the ER. The pain was awful and for some reason even started to have a fever. If you're a doctor, please explain the knee pain / fever correlation.

My Revelation...I thought a pipe was one of the most soothing and relaxing things to do, but pain killers definitely kick that up.

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
If you are sick or injured your immune response triggers the body's carpet bomb inflammatory response. Higher heat assists these repair systems.

Many people are also ignorant to the difference between a fever and an elevated temperature. A mild fever can be beneficial for the body's natural repair and recovery process.

JMcQ

Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I can definitely plead ignorance to how the body reacts to certain situations. My temp got up to 100.8 when I decided to give the ER a go. Thanks.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
Sorry to hear about your accident....Any real damage to your knee or is it just a simple sprain? Perscriptive pain killers are great as long as you don't take them for more than a couple of days. Beyond that, your risk of addiction goes up exponentially.

Better off with OTC pain relievers like Advil or Motrin and a good Balkan and just suck it up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't want to be a wuss, and I keep doing what needs to be done, but right now is not the time to do anything that requires medical care if you can help it. Hospitals and clinics are focal points for seeing possible virus patients and need to be avoided if at all possible. On the anti-inflammatory and pain killer front, I haven't seen anything authoritative yet, but it seems ibuprofen may not be a good match with this virus, and people are being steered toward Tylenol. Most have heard, but for those who haven't -- unrelated to the virus -- Zantac the anti-acid pill, has been pulled from drugstore shelves for a month or more for having bad ingredients, so don't take any residual supply of those.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
On the anti-inflammatory and pain killer front, I haven't seen anything authoritative yet, but it seems ibuprofen may not be a good match with this virus, and people are being steered toward Tylenol.

I also haven’t seen anything authoritative. NSAIDs like ibuprofen are metabolized in the kidneys, and so those with kidney problems taking a lot of them could be serious trouble. A high death rate among those with kidney problems might have been responsible for the advice to avoid ibuprofen.

Similarly, acetaminophen is metabolized in the liver. And there are lots of deaths every year from taking too much of that too.