PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have exactly as much tobacco as I need.

How do I know, how does anyone know?

You can be young and healthy and have a sizable stash, get up one morning to head to the stop-n-rob, and whammo..... you get in an accident and die. See, you had enough.

You be old with a stash of four tubs of OTC, go to the bathroom and die on the shitter, you had enough.

It’s all relative and worms don’t give a shit.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
McClelland is gone.
What's to say the head of C&D won't decide to do the same next week? No matter how big the company may seem, if it the business becomes a liability then operations will shut down.
Yes, one tiny "Ma & Pa" company decides to retire. That hardly warrents a concern for the future of tobacco availability. Like I said, people get excited for nothing in here.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, one tiny "Ma & Pa" company decides to retire. That hardly warrents a concern for the future of tobacco availability. Like I said, people get excited for nothing in here.
I agree. As long as people are interested in smoking, tobacco isn't going away. Prohibition doesn't work. If anything it's counterproductive.
The QUALITY of what's available will change, it already is happening, but people acclimate to what's available.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I agree. As long as people are interested in smoking, tobacco isn't going away. Prohibition doesn't work. If anything it's counterproductive.
The QUALITY of what's available will change, it already is happening, but people acclimate to what's available.
Quality is subjective too though and could even be things they use to put on the tobacco that they no longer do. A number of weeks ago I watched an interview with Per Jensen where a specific flavor was brought up on old Mac Baren tobacco and what's different between then and now. I'm grossly paraphrasing, but in general that specific flavor mentioned was because of Coumarin they used to process the tobacco with that gave a particular sweetness. That chemical became banned eventually because it's kind of not good for you. So in that case, the change wasn't a quality difference from the leaf standpoint but something that showed to be toxic and banned from use.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think tobacco will still be available to purchase for a loooong while yet. I wouldn't be going into debt or anything to panic buy tobacco. Alot of fear mongering on this forum. Sometimes I wonder if shareholders of sutliff, K&k and C&d are regular posters up in here.
For as much as K&K I have cellared, they ought too kick me back a few grand minimum.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Quality is subjective too though and could even be things they use to put on the tobacco that they no longer do. A number of weeks ago I watched an interview with Per Jensen where a specific flavor was brought up on old Mac Baren tobacco and what's different between then and now. I'm grossly paraphrasing, but in general that specific flavor mentioned was because of Coumarin they used to process the tobacco with that gave a particular sweetness. That chemical became banned eventually because it's kind of not good for you. So in that case, the change wasn't a quality difference from the leaf standpoint but something that showed to be toxic and banned from use.
Yes, there's quite a bit of changes going on with additives, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Consider that Warhorse used to be topped with belladonna. No wonder it packed such a punch.
The change is going to be more about the leaf itself. There's been some noticeable instances of blends being altered to use less expensive ingredients in the last couple of years, affecting blends across a number of brands. Cutting down the percentage of Red Virginia, replacing Perique with Dark Fired, etc, is becoming more noticeable, really altering the flavor profile.

If you were used to a favored blend tasting a certain way, aging a certain way, forget about it. But for people just getting familiar with blends, these versions will be what they imprint on.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
I agree, but the land scaping isn’t much to look at most places around here. They should worry about the pot holes if they are concerned about appearances.
Yeah I wouldn’t call it landscaping. It’s just natural growth. It’s not like finely manicured anything. It’ll return to what it was before the dig in a year or two. It’s not like there’re tons of metal detectives, is that what you call yourselves? I did it a bit when I was a kid, had a good time.

Reactions: turbomunkey

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
I am out of the loop on the tobacco legislation side of things. I just smoke and buy whatever works for me and cellar the old favorites. Do you guys know if they hate the RYO pipe tobacco because they can’t tax it like individual cigarettes? I just watched a youtube video of a guy who “loads” his own cigarettes and said he can get over 2 cartons rolled out of one pound of tobacco at approximately $20-25 per pound.
That made me question how the taxman feels about people smoking cigarettes for a dime without paying Mr. IRS his quarter... just a thought.
I've been rolling (stuffing) my own since 2015. Tubes and tobacco haven't gone up much since I started, maybe one or two percent. I can easily get over two cartons from a one pound bag of tobacco. I did the math a few years ago, and was paying about $11-$12 per carton.

Unlike reloading, it's a brainless process that requires very little thought or attention. I crank out 5 packs in a little over an hour, while watching the boob tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.