PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
dscn2209-150x93.jpg

Starting on a pipe carving adventure.
Bought this 4" sanding disc at Harbor Freight.

100 grit discs.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Chucked it into a drill and clamped it to the vise.
Ordered a briar kit from 4noggins.com
!B6e,4Vg!mk~$(KGrHqQOKjgEyPCBQWGYBM)cJV7fzw~~_35.JPG

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
pipesketch-600x450.jpg

Traced the block onto a 3x5card and then scanned it mutiple times to make a set of blanks to sketch shapes on.

Marked the chamber and the draft hole so I wouldn't cut into it.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
roughcut-600x450.jpg

Cut out the shape plan with scissors and drew it on the block. Then started grinding away with the sanding disc.
This is rough but it is making progress. Found a couple small pits and knicked the mortise area edge before I figured out to wrap it in tape to protect it and also pay closer attention. The briar dust was flying!!

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
img_0564-447x600.jpg

This is the latest photo after some sanding with 320 grit to shape it up.
Shank to bowl transitions are smoothing out.
Shank is taking shape and I'm smoothing it out where it meets the stem where I had dinged up the edge.
Working on the symmetry.
My only disappointment is that it is not a sitter. I could change the angle on the bottom to make it sit but I think it would upset the balance visually.
I really like the big curve on the front of the bowl (front=other side from the stem)

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
i made a bunch of pipes out of that same kit. be the best smokin pipe you own.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Not sure about the stain. I'm thinking of trying a homemade stain using walnut hulls. Not the shells but the outer covering. I made some dye with some hulls last year and died a pair of grey pants to a nice dark brown color.

Anyone have any ideas about this? I guess I could get some leather dye like is standard but I have some walnut trees so I thought the homemade would be cool.
I've been doing some more sanding and I have a couple pits and a few lines that I don't think I can sand out. Bummer but I guess that's just the character of the wood.
For now I'll just keep sanding till I get to 2000 grit and then dig up by buffing wheels. I have some jewlers rouge. Is that the right stuff to use?? I really haven't researched the finishing yet. Kinda jumped into the project.
Next I think I'll do a plateau with more of a freehand look with the pebbly surface on top of the bowl. Maybe a Nording block?? Who is the go to source for QUALITY briar kits?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Very nice pipe. I'm super jealous of all the people here carving the sheet out of their pipes... one day...
That looks like a good pipe to try your hand at some rustication. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.