PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Here is my new Penn Valley Clay pipe. It is a marbled "Dutch Gouda" style. It smokes entirely different from any briar, cob or meerschaum I've ever smoked. It is quite neat and just plain fun to smoke!

Jan 8, 2013
I've been eyeing clay pipes for a while now. I've been thinking about purchasing a tavern pipe (which is what I believe they call the really long ones), something to take me back to a time when smoking a pipe was still new, sort of like I am in the hobby at this time. Yours is quite nice :) but I think I'm going for a plain one.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Unique and interesting looking pipe hodirty, congrats and have fun with it.

~Ron

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Here's mine (Sherlock). I feel like you have an unfair head start on coloring....but I've smoked this guy plenty so it's getting closer to black. I love mine, hope yours doesn't break anytime soon (my first clay lasted ~5 weeks)
null_zpsffc138d7.jpg

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
That's a great looking pipe you have there. I have three clays, one like yours (except without the coloring), one TD style that I found in an antique shop, and a Pamplin with a reed stem. Great smokers all. The only issue I have with my clays is the size of the draft hole on the one like yours, where it's big enough to draw bits of tobacco and ash up the stem and into my mouth. I haven't yet been able to bring myself to the point where I'd be willing to go into a head shop and pick up a packet of pipe screens.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
I love Clay pipes, and that marble is gorgeous. Is it worth picking one up? I understand they are fragile but if they smoke well then I might try grabbing one since I baby my pipes anyway. I love my briars don't get me wrong but my most successful smoker is my Cob, so i'm wondering if the clay will give another great hassle free smoke?

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Clays are great smokers IMO. Other than the facts that they're fragile and you can't hold them by the bowl while smoking them, they're wonderful. Like cobs, they give a great smoke for cheap.

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
Wow, that's a beautiful clay pipe. I love my little clay and always use it for the first bowl of a new tobacco. I hope it's as good to smoke as it is to look at !

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks guys! It is a great smoker, my only problems are the same as most clays. They are fragile and excruciatingly hot and at the end of the bowl you suck alot of ash through. Other than that I have no complaints. It offeres a clean, unaltered taste in the tobbacco. Ive loved nightcap for months, and it felt like I had never truly understood the complexity of the blend untill I smoked it in my clay. For less than $20 including shipping, a great deal. I just have to be extra careful with it. Oh, and pipeshoppe.com sent it in two days as well. Great service. Again thanks all for your kind words. Id reccomend every pipe smoker to give one a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.