PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
"Interesting that you found Margate to be too strong as I consider it "Penzance Lite""

Interesting indeed. I'll try another bowl. Thanks for the other tips.

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
OK, as Margate has been introduced into the discussion and it's my discussion. I'd say Margate is more of a full English while PZ is lighter, more Balkan leaning.

Tonight I enjoyed a Bowl of H&H Magnum Opus. In a Pease / Radice Chubby Rhodesian. I wouldn't stand it next to PZ, myself, but I do think It bears comparison to Margate and my taste buds still recall last weeks Margate bowl.

MO is slightly lighter and spicier / zestier (ie more orientals) compared to Margate. It's not a PZ alternative, exactly, but I enjoyed it very much and will certainly be smoking more of it soon.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Gotta admit that Penzance is in a class of its own...creamy and sweet...Plum Pudding Special Reserve is close in sweetness but is a couple notches down on creamy.

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
Didn't A/B with PZ (smoked some Frog Morton Across the Pond for my first smoke) but mightily impressed by John Cotton's Smyrna tonight.

Wonderful bowl in my Mastro de Paja dublin. Complex, light, spicy. Not really creamy, but right up there with the best Balkan's I've tasted. Smoked it to the bitter end and it wasn't bitter! Really wished I could get a few more minutes out of the bowl. That good!

Will compare with a bowl of PZ in next few days and very much looking forward to that day.

I'm starting to feel that if I can just get my hands on a little PZ each year, I'll be fine.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
What about gl pease Abington? Perhaps a little sharper, but quite nice. I also second the SPC plum pudding special reserve as an option. I’ve been told star of the east flake as well, but I didn’t find it close to penzance at all. Germains 1820 flake would really be your best bet since the manufacturer says it’s the same without an additive or two.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Penzance is also my favorite tobacco—and has been since I first tried a bowl around 2004.
I believe Germain’s Special Latakia Flake is actually Penzance under the Germain name. (They’re the ones who make Penzance under the Esoterica brand name.) Unfortunately—and not coincidentally, I think—Special Latakia Flake is as rare as Penzance is.
I’ve tried a number of the Pease blends that have been suggested here. And while I tend to love them, I haven’t encountered any that made me think of Penzance. His Bohemian Scandal was a wonder in itself, though, and may have shared some similarities. But, unfortunately, that one’s gone forever.
For me, Penzance is a medium English made special/unique thanks to the specific condimental orientals that are being used plus the addition of cavendish. And I think it’s the cavendish element in particular that is missing from most, if not all, of the other suggested blends. There’s also something to be said for how the flakes are produced. Penzance has a velvety feel in the hand when you break it up, unlike any other blend I’ve ever tried. The equipment and techniques used to make it are truly unique. I feel that must play a part in how it smokes in the bowl.
Bob

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
As promised I smoked two bowls today, PZ in Ser Jacopo dublin and John Cotton's Smyrna in Castello lovat.

Smyrna held up extremely well. I think most PZ fans would enjoy it. It is definitely a Balkan, not an English, to my taste buds. But that's how I see PZ, too. Smyrna is light, not what I would call full, medium strength, complex, spicy and an easy cool smoke. Only the creaminess of PZ gives it the slight edge, IMHO. Most enjoyable afternoon.

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
Well, I started early today so I had a rare third bowl, with the PZ and Smyrna still fresh in my mind.

Quiet Nights is often proffered as an excellent PZ alternative so filled my only small pipe - an Ascorti Business rhodesian/bulldog - this is a pipe I was thinking I wanted to sell so I'm doubly thankful for today's circumstances which led me to filling it. I won't be selling it, now. Maybe I need a few more small pipes for a late night 'half pipe'.

Quiet Nights, then - I can see the PZ parallels, but for me it seems more tangential. It's lovely - soft, light, creamy, even buttery, and there is spice, but it's gentler, and less smokey. I've never tried And So To Bed (I will soon if I can get some) but this is what I imagine it tastes like. For me, I'd say QN is a very gentle, subtle, light English. Very nice indeed, but not a PZ alternative, unless the creaminess alone is what you want.

What an excellent afternoon and evening.

Over and out.

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
Hmm. Fusilier's Ration. I was looking forward to this.

It looks like PZ and it smells a little like it but I was disappointed.

PZ isn't 100% tobacco, as far as I'm aware. There is a topping. But it is very subtle.

FR tasted to me like a medium / full English with rather more than slightly noticeable topping, frankly it was borderline aromatic to my taste buds. Certainly not unlpleasant, but slightly fruity, slightly vanilla-sish. And I want none of that.

I have 90% of a tin left. Any locals are welcome to it.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Interesting that you liked Bengal Slices, but not Fusilier's Ration, as the latter was Russ Oulette's tribute blend to the original version of the former. I enjoy both blends, but I get it in the sense that Bengal Slices is straddling a fine line with its topping, and if it strayed too far, it could be a turn off to non-aro smokers. Sounds like whatever difference there is between the two blends crossed that line for you?

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
"Sounds like whatever difference there is between the two blends crossed that line for you?"

Yes, I didn't even know PZ had a topping when I first smoked it. Probably didn't know what a topping was... but there was too much of it in FR, for my taste, for sure.

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
I smoked my 3rd (ever) bowl of Heart of Darkness last night and it just seems to get better, for me. It's not the same as PZ, which has maybe a little more spice... but I like it very much and it looks it's going to be my regular smoke with PZ for special occasions.
More good news. Peretti Tashkent. My first bowl must have been wrong time, wrong pipe. My second was much better. It is sweet, complex and smooth, but not really in a PZ way. More in a way that I wish VAs and VAPers would taste to me, but they always seem too cigarette-y, to me... So now I'm not feeling stupid about buying 8oz based on all the good reviews here.
I had the misfortune to be in Boston (traffic!!!) a couple of weeks ago and to compesate, i got to stop by Peretti's and I picked up a few tins to try and 4 bags of blending tobacco... I added a little Latakia to the Tashkent, maybe a 6:1 ratio, and it really came alive for me. This, henceforth known as 'My Tashkent L' IS a fair PZ alternative.
I'm now convinced that there is a good life after PZ and after Syrian. I still have a few more blends to test, so there will be more here, for sure.
PS - although it's no longer available, I did find an opened tin of Mclelland Old Dog from a few years ago. Man... that was a great blend, and right up there in the PZ peers top division.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
McClelland English blends are.....were :( .... phenomenal. British Woods, 3 Oaks, Wilderness, Legends...so many good ones. Not quite Penzance, but at the same level of excellence. Why’d you have to go and bring up McClelland haha! Anyway, I’m still loving this post and following along with great interest.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Seeing that you enjoy the old Frog Mortons, it might be worth looking at Shepherd's Pie which is a shop blend by Country Squire. I just ordered a quarter pound of it to try. It's supposed to be a Frog Morton match, or something close to it. I like Frog Morton Cellar a lot, as well as some other milder Latakia blends, so I thought I'd give Shepherd's Pie a try. It has good reviews and might be a worthwhile addition to your cellar, though I don't expect it will really be a substitute for any of the Frog blends, or for Penzance for that matter.

sopsac

Lurker
Aug 8, 2018
From Wikipedia:

"Lloyd Cole (born 31 January 1961) is an English singer and songwriter, known for his role as lead singer of Lloyd Cole and the Commotions from 1984 to 1989, and for his subsequent solo work."
How cool, to have you on this forum sir! I shall be sure to check out your music!

Status
Not open for further replies.