PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I’m fine sanding with a block so far, have not gone high grit. I’m wondering about Olive Wood, I’ve only seen pics online. Do I need to go as smooth as I would for a smooth finished briar? Not sure if I’m going to use linseed oil or wax. Any recommendations? I’m wondering if the sanding is already enough if I go with linseed oil.53EA2E7C-FB6D-42D9-8B44-B8D5C544A5D4.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From the photo, it looks good, and I'd go with the oil or nothing, but I'm not a pipe maker, so rely on better judgement. The grain is elegant, and a nice shape.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I drilled it, it was a big piece, I have enough left for a smallish pot probably. I just buffed up the stem and took an 800 bristle wheel to the wood on a drill press. It’s looking pretty darn good. I don’t see how those wheels are anything like sanding though. I’m teetering on the wax vs oil. I might wax it up and post a pic. What’s the worst case? I give it a light sand later and oil it?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Nice work. I've seen olive wood with high polish/smoothness (like briar), but I've also seen it more matte. My one olive wood pipe has a matte finish.

I don't do any kind of woodwork, but olive seems to be more open-grained and porous than briar -- would that matter? I don't know.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Nice work. I've seen olive wood with high polish/smoothness (like briar), but I've also seen it more matte. My one olive wood pipe has a matte finish.

I don't do any kind of woodwork, but olive seems to be more open-grained and porous than briar -- would that matter? I don't know.
Thanks - I'm doing a few experimental finishes on left over pieces from squaring up. Wax seems to do very little. I have an experiment with dies started and a tin of oil coming.

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
I compared wax and oil on left over pieces from squaring up, the Linseed Oil gives it a warm yellowish/amber hue and makes the markings a little more prominent. The wax does very little comparatively. Here's a look at it after I oiled it.

What a beautiful piece! Wow!

Are you planning to smoke it or keep it for display? If the former, I'd be curious to know how you find the olive wood compared to briar in terms of heat, durability, friendliness and flavouring.

I'm extremely new to pipe smoking but with any topic I find the minutia and breadth of how people express themselves fascinating.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I’m going to keep it and smoke the heck out of it!

It’s unusual for me, but I smoked this as soon as I had it drilled and fit a stem on it. I’ve smoked it maybe 3 or 4 times. I would not say it’s broken in yet. But I already would say it’s a pleasant smoking pipe. I would strongly disagree with the notion I’ve heard around that Olive Wood smokes hot - I don’t think it does at all. I wouldn’t say it tastes like olive oil either (I’ve read that here and there), but I would say that there’s a slight fragrance akin to smoking an aro occasionally. I’m not an aro smoker and that might kill it for me, but I don’t find it distracting. From what I’ve heard that goes away pretty quickly - it's mild. My initial impression was that I liked Olive Wood immediately and that I wanted to carve another one soon. I like it! I’ve also read that it is more dense and heavier than briar, which I do believe.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I’m fine sanding with a block so far, have not gone high grit. I’m wondering about Olive Wood, I’ve only seen pics online. Do I need to go as smooth as I would for a smooth finished briar? Not sure if I’m going to use linseed oil or wax. Any recommendations? I’m wondering if the sanding is already enough if I go with linseed oil.View attachment 27922

I have no answers to your questions I'm afraid but one thing I definitely do know is that is one handsome looking pipe ??.

Status
Not open for further replies.