PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
a few ways.
for one, does it say "made in the republic of Ireland" on it?
If so, it's pre mid-1990s for sure.

Other ways: newer (closer to 1990s) systems have a more "squared" ferrule..
see how yours is more round on top? look at a new one on smokingpipes and you will see what I mean.

also the bevel on the bottom of the ferrule.. they stopped doing this in the 80s sometime.

I know it's not an earlier than 1980s pipe because it has no "P" on the stem (dropped doing this about 1980) and not earlier than that because it doesn't bear the three "faux" hallmarks on the nickel band. They stopped doing this in the earlier 1970s I believe.

and none of this is set in stone to give you an exact date but a better range of dates when your pipe was produced. from the 1950's to 1970s this can be tough because there wasn't a lot of change at this time, though you can tell some things by the stem and tenon extensions.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
So the bottom stamping, near as I can figure, since its worn and I'm blind says

Peterson Standard System 303 Made in Ireland. The Ferule has a stamping that says K&P Petersons

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
if it was stamped "made in Ireland" it would be very old, which it isn't.

it should be stamped in a block format:
MADE IN THE
REPUBLIC OF
IRELAND

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
if it was stamped "made in Ireland" it would be very old, which it isn't.

it should be stamped in a block format:
MADE IN THE
REPUBLIC OF
IRELAND
the "in the republic" is so faint I can barely see just the ghost of it, I can see the "Of" slightly better, Ireland is clear as a bell

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Being an avid 03 fan, the 303 appeared in 1979. Peterson 301 System – Peterson Pipe Notes - https://www.petersonpipenotes.org/tag/peterson-301-system/
based on stamping, type of sandblast, ferrule, ...you can maybe zone in into a closer production date as brobs suggests
good call! I wasn't even think about the shape's introduction, just the markings.
I am a 301 fan as well so I should have thought of the other shapes introduced at that time.

I think from 1979 to the late 1980s is a pretty good narrow-down!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
nice pipe. love my 302 system spigot. got a 303 system standard for a friend. current 303 definitely has more square shoulder on the ferrule. that's a nice sandblast.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.