PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Can you do the salt treatment inside the system chamber? And how?

I wouldn't bother, unless you have a persistent ghost. A hot water flush- 20-30 seconds, takes care of many a cleaning chore.

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

• Love
Reactions: tomatamot

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
I wouldn't bother, unless you have a persistent ghost. A hot water flush- 20-30 seconds, takes care of many a cleaning chore.

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.
That seems to just bring up a list of sites to share the post. I’m obviously doing something wrong.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Whenever I get an estate, whether to keep or to sell, one of my steps is the salt and alcohol treatment. It involves plugging the shank with a Q-tip wrapped in plastic wrap, filling the bowl with kosher salt, and adding alcohol (in my case vodka) and letting it soak for at least 24 hours. As the pipe sits, tars, gunk, and whatever flavour might have been in the briar get wicked away.

After the salt is flushed away I will fill it with damp coffee grounds to get the remaining ghosts.

Take a look at the pipe now, after sitting for 6 or so hours.

View attachment 48786
I've discovered a couple of cotton balls in place of the salt works just as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I like using the least harsh method first, and if that doesn't do it, move on to the harsher ones:

1. Hot water flush, paper towel dry, pipe cleaners, Q-tips in the mortise,
2. Coffee grounds
3. Salt or cotton balls and alcohol
4. Retort.

2 and 3 should be followed by a flush to get all the grounds and granules of salt out.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What did you apply to the stummel?

Carnauba wax which I let dry for about 30 minutes, then buffed with a horse hair brush. I wish I could remember who mentioned that particular way to buff a a stummel, but it really gives it a nice deep shine.

That's a Great Looking Pipe, Congrats!!!

Thank you kindly! I will see how it takes to a flame later today.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.