PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Recently, I got interested in Native American ceremonial pipes. After searching through the internet, I finally found this site called Lakota Creations which is owned by a man and his wife who is 5th generation Native American pipe maker. After looking through their stuff, I finally purchased one of their pipes.
Today, I finally got it, assembled the pipe and stem immediately and smoked "Kinni-Kinnick Indian Tobacco Ceremonial Blend" which I also bought with the pipe.
Everything was perfect. Weather was nice, I could hear birds singing nearby and the aroma was so different from other blends I have; it was so relaxing. The tobacco itself smelt like ingredients for traditional Korean medicine. The aroma was fruity a little bit because Native Americans put bear-berry leaves in Kinni-Kinnick blend.

Smoke was so cool too! No tongue-bite at all, complatamente nada, zilch.
However, there were 2 disappointing elements.
1) Pipe bowl is freakin' small. God Jesus.... it would have been so much better if the bowl diameter was a little bit bigger...
2) The artists used redwood for the stem and the particular taste of the wood somehow modifies the taste of tobacco.. it somehow reminded me of cigarettes.. (yuck!!!) :evil:
But those are the only aspects that I didn't like. Other than that, it's a beautiful work of art.
I hope I could get a bigger bowl in the future.... and hopefully, taste of redwood will soon fade away.
SNV30031.jpg

SNV30032.jpg

SNV30036.jpg

SNV30037.jpg

SNV30038.jpg

SNV30039.jpg

SNV30040.jpg

SNV30041.jpg

SNV30042.jpg

SNV30035.jpg

SNV30034.jpg

SNV30043.jpg

SNV30044.jpg

SNV30045.jpg

SNV30047.jpg

SNV30046.jpg

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Very cool! I would like to know how the tobacco tastes smoked from a briar pipe.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
That looks great! The taste will never go away from the redwood, the oils in it are pretty much forever. With that said though, it will absorb some of the tobacco you smoke in it and take on a new taste, which will not be tobacco or redwood, but new.
@yohanan, traditional American People pipes are usually made of pipe stone but can be wood, cob or light clay. This one looks like pipe stone.
I like that the artist didn't go overboard on the ornamentation, it is more traditional. The Sioux Nation made pieces that had a beauty of function. Wive is descended from Oglala Lakota.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Interesting pipe!

Perhaps the bowl is small because the Native Americans wanted to keep their ceremonies short. (All ceremonies I have ever been to were much too long.)
Here's some Wikipedia info on Pipestone for those interested.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've seen a few of those on Ebay ,also kits for making your own pipestone pipe. You could get another stem to use for smoking,perhaps a Churchwarden stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.