PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
Great pick up, I have the green (Smooth Irish Green) D15, its a beautiful pipe!

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Do you actually smoke them? Seems like I hear that most people who buy churchwardens (or reading pipes) don't actually use them very much because they are unwieldy. I can see the attraction from a pipe collector perspective and perhaps a bit less so from a smoking one. I don't have a churchwarden and am genuinely curious.

At any rate let us know when you get it and how it smokes. Also how the drilling is.
I love smoking churchwardens. I never found them too unwieldy. In fact I don't really like clenching much and it feels more comfortable then a shorter pipe which is also not an issue. I also just love the way they smoke. Also if you really have to clench it's a lot more doable then people think it is, there is just an almost trick for it.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Nice looking churchwarden you got there. I’ve yet to take the plunge and buy one myself, but they look like they’re great to smoke in a nice comfy chair. Hope it’s a good one!

Mark Taylor

Lurker
Sep 19, 2019
Texas Hill Country
Do you actually smoke them? Seems like I hear that most people who buy churchwardens (or reading pipes) don't actually use them very much because they are unwieldy. I can see the attraction from a pipe collector perspective and perhaps a bit less so from a smoking one. I don't have a churchwarden and am genuinely curious.

At any rate let us know when you get it and how it smokes. Also how the drilling is.
That has been my dilemma as well. I have my eyes on a Ropp churchwarden, but I keep asking myself if I'd really smoke it. Probably a few times, but not regularly. I'll probably fall back on, "you can't have enough pipes" and just buy it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
love it. So much better lightly broken in (I rotate through six pipes every week). Strangely I am finding this is a really good pipe for burly. Alright too with straight Virginia. It handles everything well, just for some reason these two types smoke great in it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I love smoking my churchwardens. Especially the Vauen Auenland Eron Sandblasted. Yes, I only ever use them at home, since they are undeniably impractical for travel of any kind, but they smoke well and just create a different type of smoking experience. They are also effortless to smoke, since you can pretty much rest them on anything, including your own reclined torso.

I have about 10 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.