PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
As a man who has always been attracted to the "classic" nature of pipe smoking, I think I've set out on a goal of collecting certain pipes or style of pipes from the different major countries of pipe making. I'd like to have at least one pipe of either a certain shape or certain maker from different countries!
So far, my collection of the pipes are:
America: John Bessai Poker (I like the poker shape and enjoy American pokers)

Ireland: Peterson Killarney 221

Denmark: Neerup Classic 3 Apple
I intend to obtain a Savinelli for my Italian Pipe, and I am going to buy an Ashton Bulldog for my English pipe.
Call me old-fashioned, but I do enjoy the classic shapes/companies associated with countries! Hoping to accomplish most of this goal this summer, but we'll see how it goes! :D

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It's a big world with carvers in many countries and your collecting goals are outstanding. I'm not usually a betting man but just this once I'll go out on a limb and bet a tin of your favorite tobacco that the Ashton is going to blow you away! Good hunting.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That sounds like a very fun plan and great way to build your collection. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
settersbrace, I certainly hope it does! I've often equated smoking a pipe with England, and I wanted my English pipe to be a great one!! :D And yes, it certainly is going to be a daunting task, but for right now I'm trying to stick with the main countries that make pipes; eventually I'll make my way to obscure artisans :)
jkrug, I certainly will! I'm looking forward to expanding very soon! :D

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Hi chalbach72,

That sounds like a grand plan and a life-long one as well.

Take it slow and enjoy the hunt! :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I can see it now. A large wooden globe pipe stand, complete with axis, able to turn at the touch, with places to rack your pipes in the proper geographic proximity. Made of walnut or some other warm colored wood.

Anybody heard of any Aussie carvers?

I'm not planning anything.

I'm accumulating stuff, including pipes and tobacco, stands and racks, tobacco bric 'a brac, and trying to learn about this endeavor that has beguiled mankind for centuries. Not that I am at all critical or your approach, in fact just considering the topic is illuminating.

If not for the internet and the forum (host and members), I might not have spent so much money last year. I might not have discovered so much enjoyment so quickly.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
newbroom, I definitely know where you're coming from! For a while I tried to tell myself I'd stick to just one or two pipes and just try different tobaccos, but I want to understand more about the different historical shapes, the companies, the culture that defines the pipe! I've learned pretty much everything I can about the mental and physical health effects of pipes due to about 2 months of research, so I'm starting to branch off into the cultural aspects of it :D

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
That's a good starter plan...as you get more into the hobby, you will discover more carvers than you ever knew existed...enjoy and watch out the PAD and TAD bugs bite and bite hard :)

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Good plan, you are planning much better than I did. For a long time if I liked the shape, finish, color, and dimensions, I bought it :wink:

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
thanks, gents! It's going to be an interesting experience, and I intend to find only fine pipes from the different countries (unless there's just too good a deal to pass up! :puffy:)
Right now, an Ashton Bulldog is my main priority. First paycheck of the summer is going towards it! :D After that, probably a Savinelli, but we'll have to see!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I too really enjoy the international dimensions of pipe makers. I have U.S., England, Ireland, Italy, Denmark, Greece, France, Haiti, Holland. What am I forgetting?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My wife and I decided to do this same thing about a year ago. We started strong, but as time went on we lost steam due to the fact that for some countries we couldn't find pipes we liked enough to buy, or they were too expensive for our budget. So far we got USA, England, France, Denmark, Italy, Ireland, Holland, Germany, Ukraine, and Canada. Oh, yeah, I do have a Chinese cob that came with a pipe rack I bought but never smoke it.

But were still pursuing it, just not as much. If we see something from a country we like and can afford, we try to get it.
Good luck with you search, and don't be in too much of a hurry for fear of getting a pipe from a country you want, but you don't really like to smoke it that much. :roll:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
You have already been warned about the insidious effects of PAD so having a plan is a good thing. In reality what you will likely find is that as time passes your focus will change. It does for most of us. What is smart is that you have given yourself a goal. Without that this hobby can get pretty expensive. It can quickly become driven by emotion rather than objective. Having a vision of what you want your collection to be will help you keep things in perspective. A wise decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.