PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm a huge fan of the Spaghetti Western movies. As a fan of these movies I've been wanting a Lee Van Cleef (Colonel Douglas Mortimer) meerschaum pipe for a while now. I know Storient has the Lee Van Cleef pipe, but I wanted one that I would be able to color myself. For a good year or more I've been looking for this similar style pipe on ebay in an unsmoked condition and at a reasonable price. Well today I finally achieved success! I won an auction on ebay at what I would call a steal of a price for this pipe...
angeleyespipe_zps8ed4efb7.jpg

angeleyespipe2_zps7654a8be.jpg

It's a Turkish made smooth bent billiard with an amber stem and was listed as being made in 1962 and was bought in Turkey by the seller. I'm so stoked to be getting this pipe. I'm hoping to have it later next week. I can't wait to get this thing smoking.

Jul 15, 2011
Meerschaum that is simple, functional, elegant without being extravagant and will provide a lifetime of great smokes. Really, what more could you ask? Well, I mean besides the actual pipe that Lee Van Cleef smoked himself. In all honesty, I dislike most Meerschaums because of the fanciful shapes (though I would love to own a dragon claw some day), but this one just screams good taste. Well done good sir!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Thanks! I too am not a big fan of meerschaums as I don't care for the designs, carvings, engravings, shapes etc. on most of them. I really love the simplistic look of the smooth bent billiard. Besides, if its good enough for Lee Van Cleef its good enough for me.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
That is a wonderful looking pipe. I have to agree with pipe novelist that the small/smile design is the best way to go. You have to take some pictures of the coloring process!

Jul 15, 2011
You want to color that bad boy quickly? I would smoke the ever living %!$@ out of that pipe until you get some good color going on it. It would be even sweeter if you could get it to color like Lee Van Cleefs with that darker rim around the top going down to that amber hue toward the bottom.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Very nice! I do own a Storient LVC and I love it. I do not adhere to the "do not touch" meer philosophy. Mine is getting some great coloring from smoking and handling.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Great looking pipe. I like smooth pipes as well as carvings. A couple of you said that you weren't crazy

about meerschaum pipes, but I just have a thing for them!
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/my-meerschaums

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Awesome find metalheadycigarguy - I would want to color it myself too. And to think that pipe was around when "For a Few Dollars More" came out in '65, even cooler. Congrats!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Thanks for the nice comments guys. I can't wait to get my hands on this pipe. I'll update the thread when it arrives with a few better pics.
@wnghanglow: I will definitely be taking pictures along the way during the coloring process. I'm hoping it colors really well.
@Pipe Novelist: I'm sure this will become a favorite pipe of mine, so I'm sure I'll be smoking it a lot. I would love it if it could color like LVC's.
@vorhees: I agree. I don't believe in that philosophy either. I plan on holding it just like any of my other pipes.
@TopD: I'm kind of a simplistic guy, so many of the meerschaum pipes just seem way to over the top for me with their carvings/designs. Amazing work for sure, but just not my style with most of them. Certain designs I like, but many I don't care for. When it comes to the meerschaums I like the smooth pipes better.
@numbersix: I too think it's cool that this pipe is from the same era as the movie. Now instead of smoking a cigar while watching the movie, I'll be smoking this pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Metal, great freaking score. I am like you in that most Meers I do not care for because they are too fancy. I am a huge fan of Van Cleef and would like to own something like that one day. Congrats on your new pipe and I hope it smokes great for you.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wonderful find...congrats! That’s great you even found one with an amber stem. I love meers, and I too prefer the non-figural designs/shapes. I underwent a full conversion to Meerism when I acquired my first Baki. Keep us posted when it arrives...enjoy!

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Congratulations! It must be an even sweeter result as you have been looking for one for so long. I hope it gives you many years of fine service as it colours and matures.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Love the nice smooth lines of this one, hope it colors nicely for ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.