PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Acquired at a local charity flea market event, the entire lot was $55cad. Included are (top to bottom):
1. Savinelli "Punto Oro" 541 KS

2. Peterson "System Standard" 303 (Republic era)

3. Bari "Exellent" 7054
Before:

0k8coD5.jpg

After:

PW5rU8m.jpg

I gave the stems a vinegar & alchohol bath, then dumped them in an Oxy wash. I kept the post Oxy soak sanding pretty conservative so as to not soften the edges on the stems. The bowls had been reamed, so I polished up the metal and acrylic bands before gently cleaning the exterior of the bowls. I then used a beeswax & mineral oil mixture, and waxed & buffed the pipes and stems. All told, I put in about 4 hours of work, and I'm happy with how they turned out.
I look forward to giving these all their inaugural smoke! I was most excited about getting the Peterson, but after cleaning up the Savinelli, I can quickly seeing that one becoming a favorite.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
Tell me about the bees wax and mineral oil please. I have some mineral oil that I use on my cutting board, do you mix something like that with bees wax and use it as a polish? Pipes look great!

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
If you hit the stems hard with a magic eraser, then an old cotton cloth with toothpaste...can get a better shine. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/hialeah-antique-store-find There's one example; works if you can't get ahold of proper supplies for a while.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks for the tip, Tyler.
@jdhayes - we use it here on our wooden cutting boards and spoons too. Here's a recipe to make your own, lasts a long long time. - http://www.thekitchn.com/homemade-spoon-butter-165182

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
Thanks! I'm gonna give it a try. I have some old spoons that need it too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That Bari is a beauty, and I know from owning a Bari for forty years that it will be a superb smoker. They are fabulous pipes, classics.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I think I could live quite happily with that Savinelli, I really love the shape, quite unique.
Perhaps as an alternative to your beeswax/mineral oil compound you might try Kiwi neutral shoe polish. It contains carnauba wax which seems to be revered by pipe refurb folks. I can vouch for it giving excellent results without the need for a buffer.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.