Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
f88134fabd79892c0653df8da57e987f_zpsb352f4ee.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
That is really cool, I've not yet seen brown Morta, is it a different kind of petrified wood or did the pipe maker somehow get the Morta to take stein?

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
werebear,

Check out this post, I give quite a bit of information on the Morta pipes I owned at that time, it has since grown.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/morta-pipes-opinions-or-experience#post-585397
NOLA cajun,

Details man, details, I'd have nabbed that in two shakes of a Weimaraner's tail!

banjo
philobeddoe,

Morta comes in quite a few colors, here is a chart, it is not complete but as you can see age (how long it has been submerged) and what kind of soup it was in is the determining factors.
220px-Morta_color_based_on_age.jpg

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Thanks for the chart fish...
Werebear..Morta is semi-petrified wood..also called bog oak...it is a unique material used to makes pipes...similar smoking qualities as meerschaum but less fragile.
The Copper color is natural, it's not as old as the black...it's very rare to find copper and gold..black is the most common...as the chart shows, it ranges in age from 1000 to 8000 years old...only a few pipe carvers in the world work with Morta..because of the density of the material, and rareness of good quality blocks available to make a pipe.
Very specific "bog" conditions are required to preserve the wood so it doesn't rot to allow it to turn into Morta and it's only found in a few places in the world, (France, Croatia...etc.)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
That's a nice looking pipe. A pipe maker I know has made several morta pipes out of 6000 old morta and he's stated that its very tricky as it can be difficult to carve. Enjoy the pipe... she's a beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.