Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Another positive I've noticed with the clay. The tobacco seems to stay lit better while smoking more slowly. Smoking this bowl of McClelland Anniversary more than 1 1/2 hours with just a couple of relights. And I've managed to avoid the bowl getting so hot that I couldn't hold it. Now it gets warm, no question. But smoking slow enough seems to keep that reasonable.

Another positive. The tobacco seems to more easily burn down to a fine ash with minimal or no dottle.
@hoosierpipeguy Wow, getting 1 1/2 hours smoking time from your clay pipe! Best I've ever managed is 45 minutes although I made it last 25-30 mins a few times. 5-10min is more normal for me; I'd like to make my clay pipe last at least an hour like "William Cavendish" at Bolsover Castle:)
This was the costumed re-enactor with the antique silver church warden!

Reactions: JOHN72
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
@hoosierpipeguy Wow, getting 1 1/2 hours smoking time from your clay pipe! Best I've ever managed is 45 minutes although I made it last 25-30 mins a few times. 5-10min is more normal for me; I'd like to make my clay pipe last at least an hour like "William Cavendish" at Bolsover Castle:)
This was the costumed re-enactor with the antique silver church warden!
That's a fairly decent sized bowl on that pipe, I was surprised as well. Also. That mcclelland 40th is dense as leather. I enjoyed over an hour long smoke from a bowl of McCranies Red Flake last night.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
That's a fairly decent sized bowl on that pipe, I was surprised as well. Also. That mcclelland 40th is dense as leather. I enjoyed over an hour long smoke from a bowl of McCranies Red Flake last night.
@hoosierpipeguy I don't think I could make my clay pipe of baccy last over an hour; I did well to make mine last 45 minutes. A short 5-10min smoke is more normal for me but I'd like to see how long I can make a clay pipe of baccy last...

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
@hoosierpipeguy I don't think I could make my clay pipe of baccy last over an hour; I did well to make mine last 45 minutes. A short 5-10min smoke is more normal for me but I'd like to see how long I can make a clay pipe of baccy last...
I could see that with some of those smaller clays. The bowl on my black Clay is near identical to the bowls on my Meers and Briars from an ID perspective. I see no reason it can't produce a similar length smoke.

Reactions: The Clay King
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Received the Lepeltier Clay. Bowl is nice, heavier than expected and the bowl capacity less than expected. Stem very mediocre but functional. The connection is cheap crap, they used some cheap cork as the insert in the shank. It's a good thing it smokes fantastic or it would be going back. I'll likely send it off to someone to make a decent mouthpiece and put in a delrin insert.

I also noticed their security certificate has apparently expired on their website. Sigh.

D68DA0B0-4406-401C-9A17-7F17B0088060.jpeg

5B590E71-5338-4F51-A514-8753FBCB8751.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Received the Lepeltier Clay. Bowl is nice, heavier than expected and the bowl capacity less than expected. Stem very mediocre but functional. The connection is cheap crap, they used some cheap cork as the insert in the shank. It's a good thing it smokes fantastic or it would be going back. I'll likely send it off to someone to make a decent mouthpiece and put in a delrin insert.

I also noticed their security certificate has apparently expired on their website. Sigh.

View attachment 183678

View attachment 183679
Very interesting. I almost thought of buying one of those a few minutes ago because of the link above. Glad to see how it's put together. Wierd.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
So far as I know, they all have that cork "mortice" to interface between the stem and the ceramic.

I've never tried taking mine apart. Because it's a double-walled calabash-style thing, I just do a water flush. A pipe cleaner thru the stem would just probe around an empty chamber, not clean a tight airway.

Because of the double walled design, they also all have deceptively small bowls for their outside dimensions. Mine has been mostly relegated to tasting or quick smokes.

Sorry if you feel misled. It does have a better quality stem, tho!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
So far as I know, they all have that cork "mortice" to interface between the stem and the ceramic.

I've never tried taking mine apart. Because it's a double-walled calabash-style thing, I just do a water flush. A pipe cleaner thru the stem would just probe around an empty chamber, not clean a tight airway.

Because of the double walled design, they also all have deceptively small bowls for their outside dimensions. Mine has been mostly relegated to tasting or quick smokes.

Sorry if you feel misled. It does have a better quality stem, tho!
I wouldn't consider it misled. I don't believe Lepeltier understands pipe smoking very well. I asked for the bowl ID and she gave me her best effort at the top of the rim. I think that was slightly larger than reality and the bowl is tapered. I am also assuming their design doesn't intend to have the pipe disassembled. I pulled on the stem and it came out easily.

The most important thing is, the pipe does smoke really good. The Lepeltier folks think just like the Meer carvers, put 95% of the effort into the bowl and shank and throw in whatever stem they can get. They're "pottery" experts, not pipe experts. If I can find a repair/stem person to make a stem to my specs for that pipe, I have no problem spending some more $ to end up with a fantastic smoking pipe in all facets. And if that is the case, I will purchase more.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I wouldn't consider it misled. I don't believe Lepeltier understands pipe smoking very well. I asked for the bowl ID and she gave me her best effort at the top of the rim. I think that was slightly larger than reality and the bowl is tapered. I am also assuming their design doesn't intend to have the pipe disassembled. I pulled on the stem and it came out easily.

The most important thing is, the pipe does smoke really good. The Lepeltier folks think just like the Meer carvers, put 95% of the effort into the bowl and shank and throw in whatever stem they can get. They're "pottery" experts, not pipe experts. If I can find a repair/stem person to make a stem to my specs for that pipe, I have no problem spending some more $ to end up with a fantastic smoking pipe in all facets. And if that is the case, I will purchase more.
I'd be interested to see those color! If all clays were glazed like that I'd probably own one.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I sent email and found out the cork is used to allow a little play so the mortise doesn't break. Makes sense. And they still replacement cork inserts. She also told me she can find a wider, flatter stem. So it all could be good.

I like the pipe. For $55, it is a worthwhile investment for any serious pipe smoker.

Reactions: Toast
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just bought this one. I didn't realize it but they sell the cork tenon inserts for replacement $1 each I was told they use the cork to avoid breakage. Makes sense. I bought a dozen. They also told me they could select a stem that's side and flat. I ordered a replacement of that style for the Slim I previously purchased and specified that for my new purchase.

I've enjoyed the clays I've purchased, I still highly recommend them for any reasonably serious pipe smoker. Easy to smoke and definitely delivers a somewhat different flavor. The Slim is a bit smaller bowl than I'd prefer, the new one is a bit larger.

41C1FC25-FAF4-44E1-B1FB-FE8BEB05DE9B.jpeg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Nice pipe, Florida Man.

My first clay was "issued" to me for a pipe club slow smoke it was similar to this:

1671542309858.png

I was shocked both at how well it smoked and how long a smoke it gave. As a noob, I actually won that slow smoke at 55 minutes.

I was also shocked at how hot the bowl could get, even during a slow smoke. I held it about halfway down the shaft.

Finally, keep your lips dry or they may adhere to the clay when smoking!

I found it interesting that the traditional way to "clean" an old school "all clay" pipe is to throw it into the fire until all impurities are burned away.

1671542550195.png