Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I rec’d my pipe from Mike Billington yesterday. It’s lovely and smokes great right from the start due to the carbonising process Mike uses. He makes very high quality pipes for a price that is hard to believe. This pipe was a bespoke design requested by Douglas Bader, the controversial and acerbic Spitfire pilot who flew sorties after losing both legs in an aerobatic crash in 1931. British pluck personified! Since my mother was a WAAF(women’s RAF) in the war, I will smoke it in their honor.
Please look into Blakemar Briars for your next pipe. You won’t be sorry and you will be supporting British pipe craft at it’s finest.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
I totally echo your review, Mike’s pipes are excellent smokers and fantastic value for money. This is rustic version of the Sir Douglas. Bader’s book “Reach for the Sky” is a good read as is the film of the same name starring Kenneth More.
Happy puffing
Ettrick puffer

Attachments

• 3FB43EE4-38EC-4663-8962-6FE1628D3D0A.jpeg
    3FB43EE4-38EC-4663-8962-6FE1628D3D0A.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 19

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I am receiving mine this week! I'm so excited for I am a military plane enthusiast. Sir Douglas Bader is one of three of my favorite fighter pilots. Mike at Blakemar pipes is just the nicest gentleman too. I've been reaching out to him for two years about getting a Sir Douglas Bader pipe. He was very patient and helpful with me making my payment. The day after the payment cleared my pipe was on it's way. This pipe will only be filled with Samuel Gawith tobaccos and St. Bruno. I did ask Mike if his uncle who knew the fighter pilot told him what tobacco he smoked and Mike said it was never mentioned to him. I would love to know what Sir Douglas Bader smoked, what blend, what was his tastes in tobacco. I will Christian the pipe with Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake then follow up with Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake, in honor of the great man himself.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I am receiving mine this week! I'm so excited for I am a military plane enthusiast. Sir Douglas Bader is one of three of my favorite fighter pilots. Mike at Blakemar pipes is just the nicest gentleman too. I've been reaching out to him for two years about getting a Sir Douglas Bader pipe. He was very patient and helpful with me making my payment. The day after the payment cleared my pipe was on it's way. This pipe will only be filled with Samuel Gawith tobaccos and St. Bruno. I did ask Mike if his uncle who knew the fighter pilot told him what tobacco he smoked and Mike said it was never mentioned to him. I would love to know what Sir Douglas Bader smoked, what blend, what was his tastes in tobacco. I will Christian the pipe with Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake then follow up with Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake, in honor of the great man himself.
I would smoke Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader