PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
So I finally received my new (and first) briar pipe yesterday (from P&C, also my first order). After much deliberating and missing out on the Tsuge's when they were in stock, I went with this pipe, which was in the same price range as the Tsuge's. I am not huge on adornments on a pipe, especially gold, so this sleek understated style suited my aesthetics. It was listed for $47.99, then had 10% off, so came in at about $43. Add shipping and the duty that I was assessed and it is about a $50-55 pipe (landed in Canada). I am very pleased with the fit and finish of this pipe after hearing so many people dismiss any sub $100 pipe as being flawed or improperly drilled. Well enough babbling, have a look at my new baby:
P1050257-small_zps034b18eb.jpg

P1050256-small_zps46b610d6.jpg

P1050258-small_zps9893b1cd.jpg

P1050261-small_zps25a125e6.jpg

P1050259-small_zpsc638910c.jpg

P1050262-small_zps0056146c.jpg

In my opinion, the only thing that I am missing out on with a $50 pipe versus a $150 pipe is a cloth bag and manufacturers gift box. I think I can live with that...
:puffy:

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Thanks Mike and Harris. I am very pleased with it...which is quite the praise from and OCD case. Still waiting to figure out the right tobacco to break it in with.
:P

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Chakaraka that is one find pipe! I have a bjarne viking classic straight billiard style and it is one of my favorite smokers.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I agree, it looks like a fine pipe. Enjoy it!
"In my opinion, the only thing that I am missing out on with a $50 pipe versus a $150 pipe is a cloth bag and manufacturers gift box."
I'm not trying to pick a fight, but if this is your first briar, how exactly would you know?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
nice pipe, seen those on the net also..was actually thinking about getting one and giving them another shot.. my previous bjarnes the stem hole was very small and had bad draws. i like a nice big draw 5/32 if i can make it..have to keep us updated to how it smokes

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement every one. I am pretty pleased, so far (unsmoked).
bigvan:I'm not trying to pick a fight, but if this is your first briar, how exactly would you know?
I too do not wish for any conflict, but I will explain my particular eccentricities: Because I am an extremely mechanically inclined person that can appreciate and inherently understand engineering in things upon first glance. I have extensive background in drafting, CNC programming, custom millwork and mechanics. I have had $5-$150 pipes in my hand and appraised them and been given a chance to note their differences. I have also done scads of research online and some in person. True it is my first pipe, but I can also tell you about how cars and other machines work, that I have not owned or in many cases even driven. I don't claim to know it all by any means, but after all the horror stories about fills, misaligned parts and poor machining, I can honestly say that the QC on this particular $50 is pretty adequate. In fact I have scrutinized this pipe thinking that "how would I know" and even had some people comment on the good machining. I do admit to knowing nothing about "regular" draw on a briar, being only experienced with cobs. But here is the thing, if it is not adequate, I have the means to make it so. I suspect it will meet my approval (once I feel experienced enough to offer that), other than the pre-carb coating that I could live without.

:wink:
Anyone have a preferred tobacco that shines in a pipe of this size/shape?

:puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
No conflict, just a discussion.
While I do not have an inherent understanding of engineering in things at first glance (a rather impressive gift, I must say), I think a bit of experience is worth having. A $50 machine made pipe may be an "adequate" smoker, but I think you might appreciate the differences that a hand made pipe (which are usually available at a higher price point) can offer.
But you'll never know until you try one.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I have extensive background in drafting, CNC programming, custom millwork and mechanics.

I actually believe that this sort of background will serve you well. For me, the best I can do is the pipe cleaner test, check the draft hole placement, and hope for the best. This usually is enough to get me by, but there have been two pipes I own in which the draft hole isn't centered that smoke wonderfully. So, I guess I'm saying, be prepared to take your lumps when buying a new (or new to you) pipe. Some pipes just smoke better than others.
-Jason

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
bigvan, I believe that there must be a reason for a pipe over $100. So I concede that you are likely quite correct. However, in my current financial situation, my goal was to get the best pipe I could for $50. Savinelli was a natural choice, however they did not have an offerings in the shape I wanted, in that range. They did the week previous, but sold out by the time I pulled the trigger.
Jason, I totally believe you that it is a gamble. I took that gamble with quite a bit of anxiety and seem to have done well. The biggest complaint on this brand is restricted draw. I think that if I find that to be an issue, I can find a few things around my mechanical shop that will improve it... I need a buffer and lathe...then I could just make my own. :P

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I have a Bjarne "Copenhagen". Cost me about the $60 mark, I think it may be the next grade above the one you have. I enjoy the hell out of that pipe.
I have turned two people on to pipe smoking with the gift pack containing that grade of Bjarne, both enjoy the pipes.
I have smoked a couple high end pipes. You won't miss the bag or the box.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I posted the picture of my "ugly pipe" earlier, and its true I love how it smokes, and in my opinion that's all that really matters. If you like Captain Black and it makes you happy then by all means keep smoking it. I come here to learn as i have nobody to help learn this hobby, and it's been a valuable tool. Probably the best thing about it is its all a personal choice.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been looking at these myself, as I broke my pipe the other day. I think my other pipe had a bigger bowl though. Or perhaps your hands are quite a bit bigger than mine. I can't tell. Let us know how it smokes and everything else about it you can think of. I need a new pipe with a quickness, but want something that's not gonna fall apart on me.... that being said... If anyone has seen the Ukranian Souvenier (spellings off who cares)pipes on Amazon and thought about getting a cool looking hand carved pipe for under 50 bucks, don't buy one. I actually had two break on me in the last week. My first and second pipes. I guess I had one about a month now and the other a couple weeks, if that.
They seemed to smoke well though, while they lasted.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks :) I'm looking in the price range of 45 to 60 dollars however. I was looking at the Vikings the other day. I also found some unfinished Savenellis at a low price as well, but I can't remember what website they were on.

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Wow, those estates from the Viking Club site are pretty impressive, rothnh. The estate Bjarnes are especially nice. Just an opinion, Anthony, but for just $20 over your budget a hand made Bjarne is going to be FAR superior to the factory made Vikings and low end Savinellis.
Chakaraka, most (if not all) of those pipes you linked to are filter pipes. Are they your preference?

Status
Not open for further replies.