PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Just bought this beauty. My first meer, not including a meer-lined Rattray which I really enjoy. Can’t wait for it to arrive.

Been reading all the posts surrounding meerschaum smoking and maintenance. A little overwhelming, but I’m up for the challenge. Saved for a long time for this puppy.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpeg
    IMG_0003.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 24
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just bought this beauty. My first meer, not including a meer-lined Rattray which I really enjoy. Can’t wait for it to arrive.

Been reading all the posts surrounding meerschaum smoking and maintenance. A little overwhelming, but I’m up for the challenge. Saved for a long time for this puppy.
What smoking and maintenance? I smoke 3 different Meers once per day every day. Aside from the occasional team to remove some cake and a water flush, there's no maintenance. And no concerns breaking in.

Nice pipe by the way. Hope you enjoy it.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
What smoking and maintenance? I smoke 3 different Meers once per day every day. Aside from the occasional team to remove some cake and a water flush, there's no maintenance. And no concerns breaking in.

Nice pipe by the way. Hope you enjoy it.
Just dealing with the wax and holding by the stem etc. With such a big monetary investment (for me. - I know it’s all relative), didn’t want to mess it up by ruining the coloration and finish. Being a smooth bowl, there won’t be much hidden.

Reactions: kcghost
Just dealing with the wax and holding by the stem etc. With such a big monetary investment (for me. - I know it’s all relative), didn’t want to mess it up by ruining the coloration and finish. Being a smooth bowl, there won’t be much hidden.
You don't need to do anything with the wax in terms of maintenance. I know some like to rewax at certain intervals, but the wax bath applied originally by the carver is sufficient for a lifetime AFAIK...i've had meers for over 15 years and they still get tacky when warm. As far as the smooth finish, just smoke it with clean hands and you're golden. I don't bother to avoid touching the bowls or wearing gloves or any of that jazz. Just relax, fill it up and enjoy that beauty often! ;)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The wax melts and rubs off after some period. You can apply wax yourself if you'd like, I don't bother. I eventually want the true coloring that occurs after hundreds of smokes to eventually get the deep, dark brown which will probably take several thousand smokes.

If you're really picky about aesthetics, you are correct about needing to be careful with a smooth finish Meer. I had one smooth finish. Liked the pipe but it showed every little scratch and stain. I have 3 Meers in my rotation daily and I don't care enough to be that careful. Plus, I've found the carved finishes don't show the wear and tear as much.

I enjoy my Meers and they smoke great. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Post progress pics over time to show us how the coloring is progressing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I advise against adding more wax. And if your hands are clean, no problem touching the Meer. Besides, if the exterior gets dirty, you can clean it with warm or hot water, maybe need a touch of detergent. Scratches are different, of course.

Enjoy! It's really easier than you have suggested- Hoosier man has it right.

And, that's a beauty that should give you a lifetime of good smokes!

Last edited:

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Thanks everyone. I was thinking more along those lines. Have been watching the Bremen Pipe smoker and that’s what he advises also.

I chose the Birinci meer pipe based on his recommendation surrounding larger less expensive pipes that also take a 9mm filter. I know that cost wise they seem a little more affordable than others I have seen online, hopefully the quality is still there. Haven’t see a lot of mentions of Birinci pipes as compared to other makes.

Bought it off ebay from mc*meerschaum* not the German site, but from what I can tell it is the same seller.

Hopefully I don’t get stuck with a pressed meerschaum lol. It’s advertised as block. You do hear horror stories though.

1A XL Block Meerschaum Pfeife Akryl Mundstück 9mm Filter Meerschaumpfeife pipe | eBay - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/335552215042?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=lx6ivynjsb6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=a7SEyIFrSoO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123