PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
In 2014 I bought WAY too many pipes. It was my first year as a collector and I was out of control. I made a resolution to purchase one pipe per quarter, four pipes all year. Today I purchased a Baldi and one from Talberts "Ligne Bretagne" line. This resolution is NOT going well... my name is Nate and I'm a pipe junkie.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If those are representative, I think you have good taste. Like you, I'd like to take a break from acquisition

and enjoy the too-many I have. Every devoted pipe smoker should have at least 25 pipes. No one needs

sixty going on seventy, it's true.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Damnit gigger!!!! I totally forgot about my commissioned pipe!!!! That's 3 this year :( it's gone from being quirky over to that bad place. Oh and thanks MSO!! I like to think I've got decent taste ;)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yes Nate, I know the feeling. But this site is full of enablers, because we love our addictions. Unlike many tobacco users that have an addiction to nicotine, most of us are addicted to NEW PIPES! and NEW TOBACCOS! They don't even have to be brand new, just new to us.
The only thing that keeps me from buying a lot of pipes, is a lack of funds. I keep telling myself I don't need any more pipes, but there is always something different that I feel I need to experience. So I try to relax, and tell myself "all things in moderation", and sometimes it actually works, but mostly it doesn't. :mrgreen:
It's probably only a matter of time, before there's a PSA (pipe smokers anonymous) group to help the desperate. Cheers! :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
PAD is a worse addiction than nicotine. Two Weaver commissions last year, and over ten ebay wins. An annual Weaver commission coming up next month for my birthday, not to mention the yearly National Pipe Smoking Day sale SPC usually has on February 21st.

carmell269

Lurker
Dec 28, 2014
Central Iowa
I feel your pain Nate. Ive been at this for a whole 3 weeks and already have my 7 pipe rotation. I would be embarrassed to say how much Ive spent so far, but I don't care, I love my new hobby and collection of briars. At this point, Im seriously addicted and can't say for sure what I will acquire by this time next year.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Nate, all the help you need is at The Briary, right in your backyard... that place is amazing...

truenorth

Lurker
Aug 4, 2014
I bought my first pipe in June of 2014. I just counted. I have 97 pipes. (HELP ME!) Bonus Addtiction Evidence: I haven't smoked any of them. My wife won't let me.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Back in '91 when I first got into it, I worked with an elderly gentleman who built a room onto his house just for his collection. None of them smoked, and each in its own acrylic display box.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I got one of those Walmart money cards, and load it with $1200 each year for pipes and tobacco. An expensive limit, but still a limit.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I love the idea of taking the cash you would spend on pipes and put it into a savings account or bond so that one day I can cash it out to buy...... yup the pipes I would've bought in the first place only now they're more expensive so the interest is a wash ;)

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Nate if your soul is so affected by the guilt of buy new pipes for yourself, you could always buy them and send some to me. That way you could still satiate the hunger to buy new pipes but feel good about giving a poor ole chap a nice pipe. :nana:

truenorth

Lurker
Aug 4, 2014
Fun Facts regarding my PAD and acquiring 8 dozen pipes in 4 months:
1. Yes, I might be the guy on Ebay buying 4 or 5 Grabows or Medicos for $5 each.

2. As like many new collectors of anything, I went for quantity. I thought I'd try to get one of every shape.

3. I have visited more antique stores in 5 months than i did in the previous 30 years.

4. I have driven 50 miles round trip to Estate sales, just in case.. Six months ago I didn't know what an Estate sale was.
5. I am trying to run a marathon in each state. I have completed 47. Last August I was planning to go to MA to run one. Costed it out at about $700 to do it. This is real money as I am a school teacher. I decided to skip the race and spend the airfare on pipes instead. (If any of you live near Williamson, KY, I could use a place to stay next June 13th for the Hatfield McCoy Marathon).
6. I put an add in the local shopper and bought a senior's collection from him. (Some may recall a thread about sending him more money when I discovered the nice Pipo pocket pipe in the tobacco jar.)
7. My wife still hasn't given me the green light to fire up. But she is softening......

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I find this amazing:
7. My wife still hasn't given me the green light to fire up. But she is softening......
I don't mean in a bad way. Trust me, my wife totally owns me and I admit it.
I just mean getting into collecting pipes with that in mind.
What made you buy the first one?

Status
Not open for further replies.