PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi everyone, I recently purchased two beautiful pipes from a local antique shop, they both have silver bands which I’ve dated to 1922 and both have the initials M.P.P. Co on the band. I’m not sure however if that’s the makers name or the retailer, there’s no marking at all on the bowls or the stem. I would appreciate any help with this as I’ve found out nothing so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
M.P.P. Co is the maker's mark. But we need to know the city as well. Can you post images of the hallmarks on the bands?

Ooos! Gone out on an errand without posting and now see that the hallmarks have been posted.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
M.P.P. Co is the maker's mark. But we need to know the city as well. Can you post images of the hallmarks on the bands?

Ooos! Gone out on an errand without posting and now see that the hallmarks have been posted.
I’m struggling to get a clear picture, it has the Birmingham anchor, the lion mark and a X in a shield which I’ve dated to 1922, (I have a book on silver marks). I hope that’s of some help to you and thank you for your interest.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
My own research has led me to purchase assay marks guides (books) for Chester and Sheffield. I'm also in touch with the Sheffield Assay Office who have offered to research some marks that aren't available in the published guide, for a fee.

As there appears to be no guide available for purchase for Birmingham marks (that I can find, in any case), you might inquire with Sheffield who may research your marks for you if it's worth the cost.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
The initials are consistent with Masta Patent Pipe Co., and an incomplete blurb (a Google search description that leads to a dead link) suggests there's a 1906 Masta pipe with Birmingham marks. I'll need to check further to see if any of this is consistent with all of the other information that's out there on Masta pipes.

An earlier Masta mark was apparently "E.M.R." so it should be investigated whether Masta used M.P.P.Co at all...

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Perhaps you can use better lighting for better chances of ID, though you've been given some great info.

You might as well post them full size.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I have here an old catalog from The Masta Patent Pipe Co. Ltd. Barnsbury St, London N1
Grade Ekstra: Hand cut stems and heavy silver mounts
10/6 each
Grade B: Wide bore Para vulcanite stems and sterling silver mounts 5/6 each
Grade Popular : not guaranteed to be absolutely free from filling. Round bore mouled vulcanite stems and whiite metal mounts, 2/6 each.
I also have two of these leaflets one Famous over 50 years and the other over 70.
Smoking an army billiard with amber stem this morning. Stamped in the silver: E.M.R hallmarks not to read and Masta Patent.
I managed to spoil the spigots on the pipes mentioned here. Clever boy
My uncle Carlo smoked a Masta as a boy in the 30ties, thats why I have more of them I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.