My Mom’s Heirloom Meatballs n Spaghetti

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Spaghetti with red sauce will get you killed in Italy.

Where's the recipe? Hmmmmmmmm?
I just got around to typing up the recipe. It is a very simple recipe and The key is clove and nutmeg. The former is a rare ingredient in italian food but you will appreciate it I guarantee it :)

Heirloom Meatballs:
1 pound ground beef – 90% lean
1 small onion
1 egg
¼ cup bread crumbs – do not overdo it these are meatballs NOT breadballs
½ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp cloves
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp paprika

Optional:
½ tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp red pepper flakes

Step 1 - Dice onion (small pieces) and mix together with other ingredients. Optional – saute the onion until translucent in a little olive oil before mixing.

Step 2 – Make meatballs. Ideally these are no bigger than a golf ball and maybe a little smaller.

Step 3 – Brown/saute until done

Step 4 – simmer in marinara of your choice for 20-30 minutes.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I just got around to typing up the recipe. It is a very simple recipe and The key is clove and nutmeg. The former is a rare ingredient in italian food but you will appreciate it I guarantee it :)

Heirloom Meatballs:
1 small onion
1 egg
½ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp cloves
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp paprika

Optional:
½ tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp red pepper flakes

Step 1 - Dice onion (small pieces) and mix together with other ingredients. Optional – saute the onion until translucent in a little olive oil before mixing.

Step 2 – Make meatballs. Ideally these are no bigger than a golf ball and maybe a little smaller.

I copied this recipe. I'm going to try it on my next off-diet day. Thank you VERY much, man!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bet this recipe is excellent. I doubt anyone can do it nearly as well as your mom. Moms who are good cooks, and grandmas, and some dads and grandpas, have about eight tricks in every recipe that they do without thinking, or just won't tell, that take the dish to its heights.

I bet this recipe is excellent. I doubt anyone can do it nearly as well as your mom. Moms who are good cooks, and grandmas, and some dads and grandpas, have about eight tricks in every recipe that they do without thinking, or just won't tell, that take the dish to its heights.
So true - To this day I still can't get her dutch oven pot roast right!! - I asked her to write up her recipes for me back in the day and she said, "You have seen me cook. I don't measure anything." She was amazing. She reluctantly did however measure things out for me and write it down and now I have the ability to pass something close to what they were down to my kids. Every time I make one of her dishes I like to think she is "up there" smiling and proud of me :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I printed off the meatball recipe. My wife is a food writer and spent several summer vacations with a restauranteur couple from Queens NYC who summered at their home in Italy, so she is steeped in Italian food, among other cuisines.

My wife grew up in rural Missouri, near the Iowa line and the Mississippi River, on a cattle farm. She learned to cook from her grandma and helped feed the family and farm workers.

Her grandpa would ask if the workers preferred the good lunch or the extra good lunch, which was the second seating. That's Missouri humor.

Reactions: JOHN72
I printed off the meatball recipe. My wife is a food writer and spent several summer vacations with a restauranteur couple from Queens NYC who summered at their home in Italy, so she is steeped in Italian food, among other cuisines.

My wife grew up in rural Missouri, near the Iowa line and the Mississippi River, on a cattle farm. She learned to cook from her grandma and helped feed the family and farm workers.

Her grandpa would ask if the workers preferred the good lunch or the extra good lunch, which was the second seating. That's Missouri humor.
Nice!! Give it a go and let me know how you like it. Some don't care for the clove but that is a rarity. Usually, when I serve to friends the response is, "What is in these? They are awesome!" I usually use a spicy (not sweet) marinara but they go with both styles. Make a batch with and without the options and note the difference as well. That's the fun of cooking - Experimenting!!!

Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, spicy marinara is our preference. My wife makes this herself, from fresh tomatoes or selected canned tomatoes, often from Italy.

Her restauranteur friends used to can all their tomatoes for the restaurant, a huge bank of them in their restaurant pantry, but the health department had some regulation against it, so they had to go to canned. Their restaurant in Queens isn't inexpensive, but worth it, every dime.

The husband, now deceased, was the business side and the greeter, and the wife is still the chef and just an astonishing artist with it.

Now a son has taken over his dad's role. The restaurant is Manducatis, just across the Queens bridge from Manhattan. Tony Bennett and other celebs were regulars, and some still are.

Reactions: OSOBUCO and JOHN72
Jun 23, 2019

Heirloom Meatballs:
1 small onion
1 egg
½ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp cloves
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp paprika

Optional:
½ tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp red pepper flakes

One suggestion, I'd try underboiling the pasta by a minute or so and then finishing it in the sauce simmer with some pasta water. It'll infuse more of the flavors into the pasta and give you a thicker sauce that feels "more together".

Reactions: romaso