Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
965 was never my cup of tea, but there are many who have it in their top 10. There is no shortage of quality english blends to choose from. For everyday/all day blends, PS17 English Luxury and Kramer's Father Dempsy also come to mind.

• Love
Reactions: Latakia Dave
I believe that Al, one of mods, is a big fan of 965. I'm not sure if it is an all day smoke for him... not even sure if he smokes all day.

If you do smoke more than once a day, I might suggest that you try a lighter lat blend for earlier in the day and finish with the stronger ones. Latakia can tax your taste buds, so a lighter one will leave room for taxing them latter.

Reactions: UncleRasta

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
It’s hung on to a spot in my top ten for about a decade now. While I don’t seem to sense the strength that others do, it’s not a lightweight. I do think it’s one of the best representations of what unflavored English Cavendish adds to a blend that I’ve encountered. Also, I prefer the stuff crispy! Def a classic and worth a try.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I tried 965 once, but feel Nightcap is better in every way. 965 has some Cavendish type taste for me which I didn't like, and was overly light.

PipeCat

Might Stick Around
Aug 1, 2020
Los Angeles Area
www.etsy.com
I just came into possession of 4 unopened tins of Dunhill 365 (as well as other Dunhill tins) and it looks to be dated from the 1970's. I had heard once that tinned aromatics don't age as well. Can someone verify or dispute this?

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I like 965 quite a bit, but for me it's not an "all day smoke." I used to keep it in my list of top tobaccos, but have grown to like other things more regularly. I keep a couple tins around, but really only smoke it now and again anymore. Usually when I want a sweeter English.

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that blend if you're a fan of Englishes. It has been around for a while and for good reason. It's just not one of my "go to's" anymore.

I'd say give it a try. Worst case, you don't like it... I'm sure one of us in this thread will happily take it off your hands. ?

Respectfully,
Chris

• Love
Reactions: Latakia Dave

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
I just came into possession of 4 unopened tins of Dunhill 365 (as well as other Dunhill tins) and it looks to be dated from the 1970's. I had heard once that tinned aromatics don't age as well. Can someone verify or dispute this?
If the tins have been carefully stored, and their seals intact, LUCKY lucky you--although you almost certain mean "My Mixture 965."

One can assume there must once have been a "365," but its formula would in all probability date from Dunhill's very first years in business--1905-1910 (when 965 was initially introduced), and if Dunhill did still have a customer who liked it in the 1970s or after, your tins would almost certainly come from the London Duke Street "hand blend" counter, and have labelling that makes that fact fairly clear.

A few pictures would obviously settle these matters (and make it possible to date your tins reasonably accurately).

In the meantime, to ascertain the likely condition of the tobacco within, shake them and weigh them--tobacco that's dried out because of a rusty pinhole, will weigh less.

PipeCat

Might Stick Around
Aug 1, 2020
Los Angeles Area
www.etsy.com
If the tins have been carefully stored, and their seals intact, LUCKY lucky you--although you almost certain mean "My Mixture 965."

One can assume there must once have been a "365," but its formula would in all probability date from Dunhill's very first years in business--1905-1910 (when 965 was initially introduced), and if Dunhill did still have a customer who liked it in the 1970s or after, your tins would almost certainly come from the London Duke Street "hand blend" counter, and have labelling that makes that fact fairly clear.

A few pictures would obviously settle these matters (and make it possible to date your tins reasonably accurately).

In the meantime, to ascertain the likely condition of the tobacco within, shake them and weigh them--tobacco that's dried out because of a rusty pinhole, will weigh less.

PipeCat

Might Stick Around
Aug 1, 2020
Los Angeles Area
www.etsy.com
BBC TOBACCO TINS 1.jpgBBC TOBACCO TINS 2.jpgBBC TOBACCO TINS 1.jpg You're right MY Mixture 965! My bad! You can see some dates on the bottom of the cans, but from what I can see, most of these tins are 10-30 yrs old. I'm still figuring out what to keep and what to sell. There's some great stuff there!

Reactions: guylesss
Mar 1, 2014
I've got a home blend for bulk 965 with a bit of extra "Oomph", blend C&D Star of the East 2:1:1 with GH Dark Bird's Eye and C&D Izmir.
Maybe skip the Izmir if you want fuller flavor.