PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
Sometime right after Christmas I ordered a few new blends to try as well as some other goodies from smokingpipes.com. One of said blends was Peterson's My Mixture 965. I have never tried any version of this blend, but I have heard the current incarnation is good. I really enjoy English blends, so I have no idea why or how this particular one wasn't on my radar until recently. In any case I have now smoke quite a few bowls of 965. In fact I just finished smoking one about 5 minutes ago and now feel primed to give my thoughts.

The tin note is alright, especially if you enjoy the strong scent of leather, because that is primarily what I get when I stick my nose in the tin. I smelled as hard as could, but couldn't pick out much beside leather and maybe some kind of wood. The tobacco itself is ribbon cut and packs quite easily into your pipe of choice. I found it to be a little dryer then most fresh from the tin and didn't bother with any drying. From first light I was awash in a sea of robust, smoky, leathery goodness along with notes of wood, that morphed into a pleasant nuttiness. I would catch traces of a floral slightly spicy taste, mostly when I was retrohaled. I think I read in the reviews on smoking pipes this blend was supposed to be a little sweet. I have searched, but have yet to find the aforementioned sweetness in any of the bowls of this blend I have smoked. Maybe the sweetness comes with age or maybe my tongue is a bit defective? Either way the flavors stayed strong for the entire bowl. This blend produces some very creamy and very thick plumes of smoke, which is something I always enjoy in a blend. 965 burns cool and has zero bite to it. I do think it burns a bit on the quicker side though. Nicotine wise it felt pretty weak. 965 has left a somewhat smoky and almost waxy aftertaste in my mouth every time I have smoked it. Still debating as to whether or not I like this aftertaste.

Overall My Mixture 965 is a solid English blend. It has a lot of flavor, but isn't overbearing. I think it could definitely be an all day smoke for an English lover. I would recommend the uninitiated give it a go. My only real gripe is the weird fucking aftertaste, but it goes away if you brush your teeth.

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
965 and its better matches have been around for decades and remain popular with many smokers. I enjoy it and happen to be smoking a match version these days. It's easygoing and mild to medium strength, a comfortable and dependable smoke. I tend toward some of the stronger English blends from C&D such as Bayou Night, Tuggle Hall, Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, and Stratfordshire, but I'm always glad to get back to 965 when I'm in the mood for something more mild. I don't notice the aftertaste, but I may now.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
It used to be one of my favorites along with Nightcap until Murray's shut down and Dunhill farmed the blending out to others several years ago--I tried the most recent iteration of 965 from Peterson. While it's certainly smokable, it's unfortunately not the same as before.

Last edited:

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Last month I was smoking a Match 965 from P&C. It was excellent. And it def had that sweetness you mentioned. Seems like I recall some reviews stating that they actually preferred the match to the Peterson in that regard. Haven’t tried the Peterson yet, but I have an unopened tin calling my name. Someday soon! Gotta thin out the heard on some others I have open at the moment.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
If you like 965, you should try the match blend, as well as Stratfordshire and Cordial by C&D. I have all four blends and they are all good. Each one is a little bit different, but they are all good, and come in bulk, so you can sample an ounce or two without spending too much.

Reactions: TheDesertPiper

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
965 and its better matches have been around for decades and remain popular with many smokers. I enjoy it and happen to be smoking a match version these days. It's easygoing and mild to medium strength, a comfortable and dependable smoke. I tend toward some of the stronger English blends from C&D such as Bayou Night, Tuggle Hall, Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, and Stratfordshire, but I'm always glad to get back to 965 when I'm in the mood for something more mild. I don't notice the aftertaste, but I may now.
I wonder which matches you like best. When MM965 wasn't available for a year or two I found Sunjammer from Hearth and Home to be a really nice match blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like PC matches of 965 and Elizabethan, and their Midtown match of Carter Hall, Chatham Manor, I also like a little better than the namesake.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have been enjoying MM965 the last several weeks and concur with your overall review. But I got something "salty" in the aftertaste.

Now the last couple of weeks I've discovered and quickly smoked through a tin of Old Dublin. Several nights I would smoke Old Dublin in one pipe, then 965 in another. Both have qualities I like and they made a nice "1-2" punch for the evening, but I'm leaning toward Old Dublin as a preference between the 2.

And at about the same time my experience with Presbyterian suddenly became that it was both a little too mild and more difficult to burn in comparison.

Been eyeing my stash of Early Morning too, but I guess I'm waiting for the warmer weather to return for some reason before I open another one of those.

So I opened Crumble Kake English #1 a couple of nights ago ... also very tasty.

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
Mixture 965 is quite popular for a reason and it's a decent choice and an "all day smoke".