PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I realized I have gone overboard in acquiring lighters. I really like butane lighters, refillable ones especially. The first refillable I bought is back right, about $20 on eBay. It lights all right but is clunky and heavy. (Back left is a Bic knockoff ($2),and a DJEEP ($4), both of which are o.k.) So, at the Chicago show a year ago, I got the silver Old Boy style, a Xicar lighter (ca. $45) I had problems with and bad mouthed a bit about it. So, it was natural to pick up a slightly more expensive Old Boy style (ca. $80), the black one, made by Kiribi. It's been flawless. So, I had no excuse to buy another, until I visited New York, and had a fine several hours smoking with condorlover1. I just had to buy something so the tobacco shop would be happy with our smoking in their lounge, not being members and all.. So, I got a real Old Boy, briar covered. I can't bring myself to write how much I paid.
After getting home, I found that my Xicar lighter simply needed the tension on the flint tightened by stretching the spring, and it works fine now. So I have a fine refillable for the car, for the porch and for the pocket. My cup floweth over.
butanes.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
That's a nice collection, the three in the front are all fantastic lighters. I don't know why you had issues with the xicar, I have a cigar xicar lighter and it works fantastic. I had it for years, but then again mine is a jet lighter while yours is a soft flame - different mechanisms. Stretching the spring may be a temporary solution, I guess you will see when you replace the flint. You may be able to send it back, I think they have life time warranty...

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have an IM Corona Pipemaster and while it wasn't cheap, it was well worth the investment, best lighter I've ever used, I'm going to buy a couple more, just in case they stop making them and god forbid I lose my first one. Then the third one will be a back up for the second one. If I manage to lose a third, then it wasn't meant to be.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
may be able to send it back, I think they have life time warranty..
You can take it to any Xikar retailer and they will replace it on the spot!

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I just spent a whole $17 on a Chinese knockoff of the xicar... will report back when it gets here, whether it works or not. I have a weakness for lighters too. My Dad's name was Winston, so of course, Winston labeled stuff is necessary. I also like the Camel ads, and those are necessary too.

May 4, 2015
Also gotta shake the can.
I've always been told that shaking it can mix the propellant with the gas and cause a fill of poor quality.
Definitely purge the lighter before fully before filling, though.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I mentioned that 100 butanes for 15$ I got. Only one broke, so far. However, I read the posts on lighters vs matches and so I use my lighters to light a wooden skewer to light my pipe.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I bought a Kiribi a year ago and it's worked flawlessly. One flint change so far.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Everybody seems to speak kindly on the Kirbis. I can't find one in Europe, but I have been looking at this Peterson Silver Pipe Lig112. I really love the design, but would hate to spend the money on it if it's not reliable. Any of you had any experience with that one? I am mostly a match guy, but in the great outdoors or even when smoking on a bar patio I find that a lighter is much more useful. I don't mind spending EUR 50 for one, but then again since I have spent more on colibri lighters in the past and have been utterly dissapointed I am very circumspect when it comes to buying butanes.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The most dependable and easiest is likely a bic or some variation that typically fails to match, no pun intended.

I've been at this for a full 3 yrs now, and have gone through 3 or 4 refillable butane lighters during that time.

I only use a lighter to light my hemp wick.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
@jpmcwjr
https://www.amazon.com/Tobacco-Pipe-Lighter-Czech-Tool/dp/B00DELK016/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1500970504&sr=8-5&keywords=pipe+lighter
I'll give it a shot with your advice. Thank you.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Nice collection of lighters, I also have a small collection of unused Zippos, I will share some pictures in a very near future, but first I have to take the pictures :)

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I like Djeep as a backup but I have a hard time finding them here. I keep threatening to buy a pack of them on Amazon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.