PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Love them trim little billiards with tapered stems. What snazzy grain. All my Stans are Italian, but they smoke well.
Tom,
Most of my pipes are this size and all but one are straight billiards. I own one bent. I love a classic billiard.

I always seek out non-filtered billiards 5.5 - 6” in length and with chambers no deeper than 1.5” and with the inner diameter around .78 - .80. This is just my personal preference.

This size permits me an hour’s smoke, easy loading for my hand and the right length to pass a pipe cleaner into the bowl while smoking.

Forgive me if it isn’t, Tom. (My youngest son’s name too.) I believe I heard someone refer to you as Tom. Name’s -Jim

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
Thanks. This PAD is new to me. I plan to stop at a 7 pipe rotation of moderate quality pipes. Yeah yeah, I hear y’all snickering ?

But that’s the plan.

Saw this one. Had to have it! But I can stop at any time!
I hear you. I had a similar plan, but I have about 20 or so now. Not bad considering some collections I've seen. It's fun though.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I hear you. I had a similar plan, but I have about 20 or so now. Not bad considering some collections I've seen. It's fun though.
I’ve had a change of heart since joining the forum, about a lot of things, including Estate Pipes. I’ve always purchased baskets from a Tobacconist who had passed away in 2017 and those pipes along with 4 Grabows and a Cobb were good enough for me.

One of those baskets currently remains my favorite smoker.

But now I have a Peterson, a Chacom, a Sav Second and this Stanwell. I only plan on buying TWO more pipes. Wish me luck.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Really nice Stanwell.
I've picked up a few Stanwells over the years. They're a great value & good smokers.

When did the manufacturing switch from Denmark to Italy?

Reactions: Grangerous

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
For the logo I’ve used a white Stabilo grease pencil on several pipes. Color it on and buff off the excess with a soft cloth or t-shirt. So long as there’s enough of the stamped logo for the color to fill it works great. It lasts well and takes all of 30 seconds to redo if needed.

Pretty sure a metallic gold version is available. If not there are certainly paint pens or model paint as already suggested, just more effort to remove excess.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Another filler for logo stamps that I'll use is from the craft stores is called rub and buff. Fill in the logo, let dry and rub with a lint free rag to remove excess. Colors come in gold, silver and copper an woks for me. Antique restorers use it.

Reactions: Grangerous