PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am not a Dunhill fanatic, but I do appreciate their history and if I had the means, this would be definitely be found in my pipe rack. :puffy:
004-002-8280.jpg

004-002-8280_1.jpg

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=144219

Dec 24, 2012
Nice cross grain blast for sure, but damn that is one hefty price. I personally can think of 100 pipes I would buy in that price range before this one, but that is just my opinion. I respect yours of course.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
but damn that is one hefty price
Yes, I agree with you Peck. Of course if I were actually considering it, I'm sure I'd come up with at least 3 very nice pipes that I could own for the same price. But in a "money is no object" train of thought, this is my kind of pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
six, that is a great looking classic but why so much, it is just a sandblasted pipe. How hard can it be to finish it with the tan shell finish? I cannot believe they want 1150.00 for it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
six, that is a great looking classic but why so much
Probably because they can get it, just not from me! Of course be aware that I didn't post it as a pipe that is a great value, just one that I wouldn't mind seeing it in my pipe rack is all. :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
six,
Probably because they can get it, just not from me!
Or me or anyone else I know. lol I knew you were not posting it as a value pipe( value and pipe can never be used in the same sentence with Dunhill), just as a beautiful classic. I never knew until this thread that the tan shell finish is something hard to find. I learn something new on this site everyday. Now I will have to scour ebay for tan shells being sold by people who know nothing and then sell them back to SP since they can get top dollar for them.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I love Dunhill's designs. I'm very drawn to those classic shapes and this one is no exception. I just can't stomach the prices they get for them.
My dream Dunhill is a classic billiard in Root finish, Group 6 or ODA size. When I was at the KC show there was one there right in front of me and I had the cash in my pocket. I just couldn't bring myself to lay down that much for it. So many other great pipes to be had for the money. Oh well, maybe someday I'll cave in.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Dunhill is a Dunhill, and often a mighty nice pipe. For those of us on the outside looking in, I have

noted that historically the good folks in London borrowed some of that flare from the French who still

make graceful traditional pipes at middle-class-affordable prices. They may not satisfy the Dunhill itch

completely, but they'll serve about as well.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I never knew until this thread that the tan shell finish is something hard to find. I learn something new on this site everyday.
I never knew that either, though whenever I see one, they are very costly; but the Tan Shell is my favorite finish, and combined with a classic billiard shape and the silver band - just can't beat it.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Let me just say..I have 2 Dunhills that I bought many years ago.At that time they were in the $300 range.That was expensive back then but I was working and had a larger smoking budget than now.They really do smoke better than my other pipes.I have some other pipes though that cost far less than Dunhills do now.They smoke almost as well.Though Dunhills are excellent smokers I wouldn't pay todays prices for them.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Smokingpipes seems to get top dollar for their estates, but they give you a pipe in very good shape and have a generous return policy. No worry about misrepresentation to any degree like you can and do get with ebay. That being said, I recently picked up on Ebay a very lightly smoked 2011 Dunhill ruby bark with a silver band for @ $225. I would think one of our good artisans would make that tanshell for a lot less.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
^^Except for those horrendously charred Peter Heeschen's that have been up for sale forever.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
$1150.00??
I guess if I were a collector of pipes ( and admittedly tan shells are rare) and not a smoker who loves to smoke pipes -maybe I'd dream about it. Maybe.
2 1/2 Rad Davis'.
21/2 Scott Thile
3 jerry Crawford
2 1/2 J and J's
The list goes on
I own four Dunhills, but all from the estate market at a fraction of the price

Status
Not open for further replies.