PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Samuel Perez

Lurker
Dec 26, 2022
Hey people! This had never happened before to me , I have been smoking pipes for 10 months and I checked today a jar and it was like wet inside, does someone know what this is? (The jars are in a very good space with good humidity and no sunlight, on a cardboard box)
7D06D878-5783-4EE0-B5CF-953ACB0C482D.jpeg

Reactions: UncleRasta

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
It has to be humidification, what tobacco is in the jar? I've had this happen with molto dolce before but the tobacco was just sweating in the jar, (like that stuff isn't dripping already 😀). I could see it happening with moist flakes like SG/GH flakes. Easy fix

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
You said you bought Mason jars, that's not a Mason jar (at least never seen one like that) - looks similar to the kind of latch we have on some jars we use for sugar cubes and stuff like that on the shelves, and they are fine for what we use them for, but you need canning jars, IMO, for the long term.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hey people! This had never happened before to me , I have been smoking pipes for 10 months and I checked today a jar and it was like wet inside, does someone know what this is? (The jars are in a very good space with good humidity and no sunlight, on a cardboard box)
View attachment 194113
I’ve had that happen in a similar jar, though it wasn’t water, it was more like a thin layer of a waxy substance, very odd and it only happened in those latch jars.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Some of my older tobaco-filled mason jars are getting the same thin, whitish-translucent coating on the inside as yours. As long as the tobacco isn't growing mold I assume it's all part of the process. I was initially concerned, but now that some jars are 3+ years old and the tobacco isn't moldy, I'm not concerned.

Reactions: Samuel Perez

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I have some of those same jars with the orange gasket. Mine did the same thing and I assumed it was the humidity from the tobacco. My mason jars have not done the same thing. So far the tobacco in the gasket jars is doing fine and it's been a little over a year.
I store my “now smoking” blends in those jars. (I open a tin; tin goes in a jar, which is what I smoke from.) I’ve had blends I’ve forgotten about in these latch jars that have lasted four years without any issues.

Samuel Perez

Lurker
Dec 26, 2022
You said you bought Mason jars, that's not a Mason jar (at least never seen one like that) - looks similar to the kind of latch we have on some jars we use for sugar cubes and stuff like that on the shelves, and they are fine for what we use them for, but you need canning jars, IMO, for the long term.
I also have mason jars (the one I bought) I just bought some of these too

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus