PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I have this kind of Peterson pipe marked Shamrock a Peterson Product
A relative of the Irish Seconds line, I was told at the Tinder Box where I bought it in, I think, 1972 or 3.
It's a straight Pot, shape 606 fishtail and eventually became a pretty sweet smoker.
When the University banned smoking, I set it aside and after I was downsized, it was one of the first to be returned to service.

15 or 20 years ago I was attempting to ream the cake with a Czech pipe tool and unintentionally carved a 1/8th x inch long trench into the side of the bowl.
I gave pipe mud a try, but it wouldn't stay in place so I retired my beloved Shamrock not wanting to burn out the bowl.
She didn't deserve an ignoble Viking's funeral.

Shamrock was again returned to the shoebox until I came across a YouTube linked on this very forum, singing the praises of something called pipe mortar, so thought I'd give it a try. Or two.
The first try the Pipe mortar came out slurry like and dried too soft, so I scraped out the patch and mixed another batch with less water so it was more wet cement like.
Shamrock is in the post-op ICU as I write this.
Perhaps I'll get it right this time 'round

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Don't ream or scrape out the bowl after a smoke for a while.
Just use a folded over pipe cleaner very gently, and allow a thin layer of hard cake to build up.

Should be more than fine after that

Reactions: Hovannes