PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
The Xanthi sprouted first a couple days ago (lower rows), but the Virginia is coming in stronger (upper rows). The Burley in the middle rows just showed first today.
IMG_20220404_214226751.jpg

TN86 Burley that sprouted this evening sometime while we were at our youngest's 1st baseball gameIMG_20220404_214247226.jpg

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
After planting 80 onion sets, only 5 have sprouted. I'm afraid I was too late planting them.
Oh well.

Depends on where you're at. It's a little late here in Tennessee, but I still put them in a couple weeks ago and they're almost all poking up. Not sure how well they'll do in this heavy clay, but they were cheap and I'm all about testing this new land to see what does what.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Well, 21 onion sets have made themselves known at last count.
The Big Beef tomato didn't survive so I replaced it with a Brandywine.
I also planted a six pack of Poblanos that have already blossomed. They looked root bound so I cut and "X" in the bottom of the root ball, spread them out and planted with a generous serving of B-1

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
I grew up disliking the beach quite bit I am very glad to be living here now. Tropical food is my favorite, besides southern and cajun. I absolutely love it, it's all I eat.

Alongside my raised beds and what I cram around them I have a blackberry bush going crazy, 4 dwarf plantain trees, sugarcane, corn, a Mexican black sapote (chocolate pudding) tree that's now taller than me, fig tree, a guava tree, two dreadlock looking dragon fruit trees, a tamarind seedling that's about 1 inch high, self seeded "wild" amaranth, and already cherry tomatoes, beans the size of my arm.... This is on very small property too, I am doing my best to integrate it all into the landscape and push the yields to their boundaries.

I am utterly jealous of people with even a half acre. This is all on probably... 300 sqft.

Just two years ago I couldn't grow a thing. Diseased soil and no knowledge. Knock on wood for avoiding hurricanes.

The last thing I need space for is all my tobacco seedlings...

The downside of FL is I basically can't grow a single root vegetable or leafy green... I really love mustard greens, not to mention every other leaf green that exists, and of course garlic :(

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I got a lesson in patience.
Last year a good friend gave us a bag of avocados, no idea of the variety though---smaller, thin skinned and small pits, but certainly delicious.
I saved the last two pits and did the toothpicks and glass of water thing. Both rooted and cracked, one even sprouted so I transplanted both into pots and put them on the patio about a month ago, after the cold weather passed. The sprout has been growing, the other---nothing. I was about ready to toss the unsprouted pit when I just now noticed---a sprout coming out of the crack!
I gave them both a generous drink of B-1 and celebrated the new arrival with a bowl of GLP Lagonda.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I grew up disliking the beach quite bit I am very glad to be living here now. Tropical food is my favorite, besides southern and cajun. I absolutely love it, it's all I eat.

Alongside my raised beds and what I cram around them I have a blackberry bush going crazy, 4 dwarf plantain trees, sugarcane, corn, a Mexican black sapote (chocolate pudding) tree that's now taller than me, fig tree, a guava tree, two dreadlock looking dragon fruit trees, a tamarind seedling that's about 1 inch high, self seeded "wild" amaranth, and already cherry tomatoes, beans the size of my arm.... This is on very small property too, I am doing my best to integrate it all into the landscape and push the yields to their boundaries.

I am utterly jealous of people with even a half acre. This is all on probably... 300 sqft.

Just two years ago I couldn't grow a thing. Diseased soil and no knowledge. Knock on wood for avoiding hurricanes.

The last thing I need space for is all my tobacco seedlings...

The downside of FL is I basically can't grow a single root vegetable or leafy green... I really love mustard greens, not to mention every other leaf green that exists, and of course garlic :(

I used to work on a farm outside Miami with barely any soil on top of that shallow coral bedrock and she grew amazing greens. You had to center them around winter time if grown in full sun, or else in a shaded greenhouse. She also focused on Asian greens such as mizuna, tat soi, and bok choy. And there were several varieties of mustards beyond those I listed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I got a lesson in patience.
Last year a good friend gave us a bag of avocados, no idea of the variety though---smaller, thin skinned and small pits, but certainly delicious.
I saved the last two pits and did the toothpicks and glass of water thing. Both rooted and cracked, one even sprouted so I transplanted both into pots and put them on the patio about a month ago, after the cold weather passed. The sprout has been growing, the other---nothing. I was about ready to toss the unsprouted pit when I just now noticed---a sprout coming out of the crack!
I gave them both a generous drink of B-1 and celebrated the new arrival with a bowl of GLP Lagonda.
I've never heard a report of a successful fruiting of an Avocado tree started from a pit from another avocado, at least as a home grown effort.

I hope others have, and can tell us of such.

Reactions: Hovannes
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I have an acquaintance who cherishes his avocado tree.

The tree has survived several moves and is thriving in his garage ... in Michigan.

We don't talk much or see each other often, primarily due to the pandemic.

When we do talk, he doesn't shut up. But I'll take one for the team and ask how the tree came to be.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I've never heard a report of a successful fruiting of an Avocado tree started from a pit from another avocado, at least as a home grown effort.

I hope others have, and can tell us of such.
Pollinating avocados is tricky. There are "A" and "B" species that must be cross pollinated. To get fruit I need to find out which species of avocado I have growing, and find an avocado tree that is of a species that can pollinate them.