PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rybo

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
so, as a lot of you know - i was in the market for a "real" pipe. my previous pipe was a cheap ebay purchase - didn't want to spend too much $$$ if i hated it.
anyway, a friend suggested Modern Age Tobacco in Columbia, so i headed over after work yesterday. the man was extremely nice, and i have found a new spot to hang out. he invited me to come anytime and steal his tobacco, sit around with his friends and smoke. i think they were excited to see a younger guy take up the hobby.
i began looking around at his selection of pipes. he informed me he had 800 pipes at home, smoked around 50 bowls a week and had been doing this for 40 years. "Like women," he said, "I have no idea why I like certain pipes. I just do. They look good...they feel right."
Anyway, I fell in love with this beauty. I loved Danish freestyle forms, and this was somewhat similar, though smaller and a bit more classic. I love the wood grain, the smaller size and deep bowl, and the tops is beautiful. Along with it, he gave me samples of Wilshire, Lattakia, and something else (Honey something maybe?).
Sorry for starting so many new threads, but I am super duper pumped about this. In 10 years, I want to still have this pipe and tell my kids about buying it as a 20 year old. I left the shop, headed to my girlfriends house where she cooked me dinner and we sat outside for a good while, listening to the radio, me puffing away. It was nice.
Stanwell Legend Freehand 62
4865380831_384d7723c1_z.jpg

4865998286_1b8924eb14_z.jpg

4865380961_3f57cf40ec_z.jpg

i will say too that the difference between the way this pipe smokes and the way my old pipe did is the difference between breathing in a musty antique store and taking deep breaths on top of a cool mountain. i don't know why, but it's like night and day.

rybo

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
the wilshire. wanted something different than my normal mac barren vanilla

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Rybo,
The first picture looks like that gem should be twice the size that is actually is.

I too love a good free form and it seems the "hunkier" the better. Sorry about "hunkier" but I couldn't think of another word that generally describes a good big Danish freeform.

It is a real beauty, and 10 years is just a warm up for a really good pipe.

I have several pipes that are 20+ years and in my regular rotation.

Maybe the test of time is the real indicator of quality.
Looks like an excellent acquisition. UhOH! Another case of PAD. :)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
This is a great thread. That is a beautiful pipe, and the other great news is you found a new tobacconist hangout, your girlfriend made dinner for you, and then you relaxed with a pipe.
What a darn good day that was!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Nice ! ! ! A beautiful specimen of a Stanwell. I've never met a poorly made Stanwell.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
It's hard to go wrong with a Stanwell, all of mine are great smokes. My only complaint is their size, like pstlpkr, I like 'em big. I like the term "hunkier", it fits.
This Holtorp is one of my favorites, it's massive with incredible grain.
7.jpg

2.jpg

rybo

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
wow that's a beautiful pipe!
thanks for the complimentseveryone. gt's boss saw me puffing away today and gave me a a tin of Solani virginia. amazing stuff.

rybo

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
I've loved gettingto bond with this pipe. the size is nice for taking it places but i do prefer a larger pipe.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Like kcve67 said, it's hard to go wrong with a Stanwell. I'd add Savinelli and Peterson to that mix.

smokingtoport

Lurker
Aug 8, 2010
Just fantastic!!!It's quite remarkable how wood and plastic in the hands of an artist can become so very much more than the sum of its parts.Great find and Happy Puffing!!!

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Nice pipe! Whether you like a pipe or not is such a personal and subjective thing. On Saturday I walked into a gream B&M in Portland that had three cases full of pipes. I was intending to get myself a pipe and not spend too much, but in the end only one of the 100 or so really "spoke" to me, and it was this one. Too bad it was one of the more expensive pipes in the store...
Simon

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Very beautiful pipe! I am a fairly new pipe smoker and I thought that all pipes would look the same to me starting out. However, I found a pipe similar to yours online today and I fell in love with the shape! I never truly understood what so many on here were talking about until today haha. Anyways, very nice looking pipe and I hope that you get to fulfill your dream of telling your kids about your pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.