PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Well I have finally experience "Real Tobacco" lol. My wife bought me a tin of Blood Red Moon for valentines day. I have never had a tobacco from a tin. Being the cheap bastard that I am I smoke OTC and bulk blends, and very little aro's. The experience was pleasant it was a long smoke. I am wondering if I am missing something it just tasted like any other aro. Did I miss it?

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I've never had BRM, but from what I've heard through the grapevine is that it's a pretty popular aromatic tobacco. Recently people have been stockpiling it because it was said to have been going out of production. However, I am not sure if that is true because I have seen it out of stock when it was said and then in stock again recently.

I'm not a huge aromatic smoker, probably 5 bowls a year, yet it sort of goes without saying that if you are primarily a non-aromatic smoker it might be hard to adjust your tastebuds for the sweeter blends and vice-versa. I find that when I smoke aromatics, I cannot pick up the flavors as well as I do with non-aro's. I don't think you missed anything, but with any tobacco, you might try smoking it everyday and the nuances will surely show themselves.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I am wondering if I am missing something it just tasted like any other aro. Did I miss it?
Aroma and taste are highly subjective and influenced by many other factors. Although Cult Blood Red Moon is a very popular blend, I have been unable to find the excitement with it as well. I don't hate it, but there are piles of blends that I'd rather smoke. I've probably given away more Blood Red Moon as samples to people who have heard about it and wanted to try it than I have actually smoked myself.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
To add on from my last post (couldn't edit, time limit reached)

You might try your hand at semi-aromatics in the meantime.

Some good tobaccos that have an aromatic topping but still tobacco taste forward that I've had:

GLPease Stonehenge Flake- A mild Va/per with a touch of burley and a cocoa/chocolate note.
MacBaren Navy Flake - Burley, Cavendish,VA with floral/honey/sweet rum .
MacBaren Vanilla Cream/Classic Flake - Burley, Cavendish, Va with vanilla.
Peterson Royal Yacht - Virginia with a plum topping.

There are others but these are off the top of myhead.

I'm sure others can chime in with their recommendations.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Well I have finally experience "Real Tobacco" lol. My wife bought me a tin of Blood Red Moon for valentines day. I have never had a tobacco from a tin. Being the cheap bastard that I am I smoke OTC and bulk blends, and very little aro's. The experience was pleasant it was a long smoke. I am wondering if I am missing something it just tasted like any other aro. Did I miss it?
There's nothing wrong with OTCs and bulk blends if that's what you like. I have not noticed any real quality difference between bulk and tinned offerings. It just so happens that many, if not most, of my favorite blends only come in tins.... But, for example, one of my favorite blends is Gawith Hogarth Dark Flake, which only comes in bulk and 500g boxes. I really like C&D Burley Flakes #1 and #3, which are tinned, but Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz are great and come in bulk. Perhaps there are some blends that have more expensive components or require extra processing and the manufacturers decide to tin them to preserve a bit more profit, which is understandable, but it does not necessarily make those blends higher quality...

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Packaging in a tin provides a more secure environment for the tobacco as it travels to you from the blender; that's why the lesser security of bulk packaging brings the cost down.

As a consequence those pesky "volatile essences" can/will be lost by oxidation? Suffice it to say the tobacco becomes less being exposed to air. Or does it? Some say yes and some no. Isolating and measuring the preservation of such essences would seem completely outside the province of gentlemen pipe smokers, and thus we rely on the anecdotal testimonials of others' palates, realms entirely subjective.

Whatever the outcome, it makes sense to say a tin provides a more secure environment for organic, fermenting substance. It would be interesting to smoke the same tobacco in bulk and tin, yet the effort would be impossible of control.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Not sure if you're missing anything. If you like what your currently smoking than I'd say your fulfilling rule number one of pipe smoking. However, there are blends that I love that only come in tins. On the other hand, I probably smoke more bulk tobacco than anything else and also enjoy a few OTC's. It may be nice to treat yourself to a tin once in awhile just because life is short and you may find something that you really enjoy.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm an aromatiker (shh, don't tell the Cap'n) and I'm yet to try Blood Red Moon: the label design puts me off. Heck, I'm yet to smoke a true cherry blend: I've been offered Lane's Very Cherry a number of times but always declined it: if it's anything like BCA... ugh.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
At least BRM is a true cherry flavor. Doesn't taste like a chemically manufactured facsimile.

It will ghost a pipe like Patrick Swayze in a Demi Moore Movie.
And to think people don’t know that McLintock Black Cherry is probably better

Reactions: danimalia

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm an aromatiker (shh, don't tell the Cap'n) and I'm yet to try Blood Red Moon: the label design puts me off. Heck, I'm yet to smoke a true cherry blend: I've been offered Lane's Very Cherry a number of times but always declined it: if it's anything like BCA... ugh.
Don’t smoke lane anything if you care about yourself.
their couches are OK

• Haha
Reactions: danimalia