PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
What a coincidence; as today was replace the softy bits, and clean stems day for me. I use micromesh pads, but I start with least abrasive (12000), and work my way down to (3400). I’ll go further if the stem still has some tackiness to it. Then I apply obsidian oil. First a coat on top side work it around to the bottom, then a second coat on bottom which I work around to the top. I leave it for about 20 minutes maybe a bit longer if distracted, then come back and hand buff. Stems look like glass.950ED105-A0F0-4C96-A097-5D3EA4F12599.jpeg8E820D56-1CCA-463F-A47C-C5E2F6AF7EB3.jpeg

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I wish you’d asked about 1/2 hr ago, I would’ve done one in the 3400-12000 progression to show you side by side. Best analogy I have is auto detailing. Going 3400 up to 12k produces a wax finish, but going from 12k-3400 produces a Clayed finish. One is shiny, the other looks like you could swim in it.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I get better/deeper results vs doing it the opposite. Guy on another forum told me that trick, I tried it, and darned if it didn’t produce better results vs going 3400 to 12k. I don’t really know why, but it does.
Interesting I‘m going to have to research this more. Painted a few things and always done it from a lower grade to high grade. Really curious how it works with the lower grade having rougher surface. I know, I know 3500 doesn’t have that rough of a surface.

Aug 1, 2012
Did this with micro mesh pads. I was pleased with how the brown tones gradually disappeared.
Now I've learned there are also sticks, like emery boards. Those would have helped greatly on the underside of the bit.

View attachment 80583
Nice job! From many years pipe restoration experience, I will caution that you don't want to round over the stem button or the edge where the stem meets the shank. The boards you mention as well as painters tape can help there. Keep it up!

Reactions: OzPiper

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
Wow, no kidding. Glassy! But I don't understand the 12k to 3400 progression
Well this is really interesting. I don't understand it but I am sure gonna try it! I sure can't argue with the great results that @Aomalley27 got.

Maybe 12K and 3400 are both so fine as to not make much difference...? So more polishing is more polishing either way?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OzPiper

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Very interesting about the reverse technique. Gonna try this for sure. I’m assuming, lower grits would still be used for removing the oxidised material first if cleaning up crusty old stems?

Reactions: OzPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.