PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
So I am just finishing off a bowl of my very first true burley blend, Amphora Burley. I'm not too sure what to think of it just yet. It wasn't terrible in any way or offensive... Just not as good as a solid Va? The flavour was just a little bland and bitter to me. I'm going to continue the exploration of burley. Maybe I have to warm up to it a little. I have some edgeworth RR match to try as well. Perhaps I'll like that more since it is mildly aromatic, and might cut down the bitterness and add some flavour. I'll update once I get more into my pipe

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Awesome. Burley is my favorite tobacco. Next to Perique( it’s burley) and Katerini. You need to try C&D Haunted Bookshop. I haven’t had Amphora Burley, but I have had A Match for the Edgeworth and the real Edgeworth. Good stuff. But for the real Burley experience C&D is second to none. Completely different.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
So I am just finishing off a bowl of my very first true burley blend, Amphora Burley. I'm not too sure what to think of it just yet. It wasn't terrible in any way or offensive... Just not as good as a solid Va? The flavour was just a little bland and bitter to me. I'm going to continue the exploration of burley. Maybe I have to warm up to it a little. I have some edgeworth RR match to try as well. Perhaps I'll like that more since it is mildly aromatic, and might cut down the bitterness and add some flavour. I'll update once I get more into my pipe

I had to warm up to burley blends when I started smoking them. Considering your experience with Amphora Burley, I certainly wouldn't try any stronger or rougher burley blends right away. The Edgeworth Match is a good idea. You may even want to try one of the old time blends Like Carter Hall or it's clone, Chatham Manor, which is a smoother, less rougher version of CH. Solani Aged Burley Flake is a good idea as well as Mac Baren Golden Extra, which is a little more Virginia forward VaBur blend with a mildly sweet topping.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many Virginia blends are nuanced and refined, so moving from them to burley is likely to be a learning experience. I think Amphora Burley is very good, but perhaps not as a place to start with burley. Virginia and burley blends are a classic and might be a way in. You might also try partial bowls or small bowled pipes just starting out with burley. I grew up with a burley smoking papa so it was like coming home to me, but I'm a distinct case in that regard. If you can acquire the taste, burley is lovely stuff. Some can't taste it; some dislike it; it makes some ill; but others truly enjoy it, as do I.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've grown to really like C&D Burley blends, but if you found Amphora a bit bland I suspect you'd find the C&D blends the same. They tend to lack the added flavors of many Burley blends and can taste a but plainer to my palate. They're great in their own way, though, IMO. Kind of like the difference between straight espresso vs. a good cappuccino with a little sugar.

You may just not like burley, but I would suggest MB HH Burley Flake, Watch City Slices and H&H Classic Burley Kake. They're all a bit different, but follow a similar blueprint of burley plus a bit of added flavoring/sweetness.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
So I finished a half bowl of Edgeworth RR before my wife called me in for duty (kids) and I found it to be pretty good. I have more experimenting to do before I decide if burley stays in my inventory, but I think I could keep this edgeworth around....not bad at all. @danimalia Thanks for the suggestions. I have had HH burley flake in my sights for a while now. Will more than likely give it a go

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've grown to really like C&D Burley blends, but if you found Amphora a bit bland I suspect you'd find the C&D blends the same. They tend to lack the added flavors of many Burley blends and can taste a but plainer to my palate. They're great in their own way, though, IMO. Kind of like the difference between straight espresso vs. a good cappuccino with a little sugar.

You may just not like burley, but I would suggest MB HH Burley Flake, Watch City Slices and H&H Classic Burley Kake. They're all a bit different, but follow a similar blueprint of burley plus a bit of added flavoring/sweetness.

I agree. Starting off with rougher, less sweeter burleys is a good way to scare off somebody who's testing the waters. If I had started out with stronger, less sweeter burleys, I might have avoided burleys back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.