My First Plug Experience Courtesy Of Member Oldreddog.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
@mawnansmiff:
Of course. I am in Pittsburgh, Pennsyvania, U.S.A..
I used to be able to get my tobacco shipped from Greens of Leeds, GQ, or Fox, but no more. Luckily, my friends travel more frequently than I, and I can usually cage a little St. Bruno (swear it's different in the U.K.), Condor, or Revor Plug from them. One person brought me Clan, which is still here somewhere. You live in a magical land for tobaccos, sir.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Let me chime in on behalf of those photos, delicious in themselves. They sold me on all the blends. Triple Play is another primo plug blend.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As it happens forum member Simon today reminded me of two other plugs which I had only read about, Warrior Plug and Revor Plug. It appears the former is on the endangered list so an order will be made on the morrow for both so many thanks Simon :puffy:
Hugo, I tried Clan early on in my pipe smoking journey and found it somewhat bland, especially compared to the likes of Condor!
MSO, Triple Play is one I have read mention of here on the forum though I know nothing of it personally. Does it have that nasty Latakia in it perchance?
One day when I next get my biological microscope out I shall take some seriously magnified images of tobacco...just for the fun of it.
Regards,
Jay.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Sir, please try revor. It's extraordinary. My favorite is RB Plug, but it's not to everyone's tastes. I'm suspect of the man who doesn't enjoy Revor, however.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Revor is fantastic. Warrior is another favourite I find it has a similar dna to other Irish/British plugs.
Hugo I'm suspect of the man who puts great plugs and clan in the same post :rofl:

Mind you I cannot understand how clan is still made its altogether awful stuff.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
That was funny. I had told my friends what I wanted. I think they stopped in only one store, couldn't find what I wanted, and so, "Surprise, have some Clan." Vile stuff.
I wish more of my friends went to France. I miss Caporal Bleu

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well folks I just ordered 150g of Warrior Plug and 50g of Revor Plug so fingers crossed I will have them tomorrow :)
I mentioned to matey at Mysmokingshop.com that I had heard the end was nigh for Warrior Plug and he told me their supplier has said the same thing though the producer says not so! Make of that what you will. There are now only 5 packs left at Mysmokingshop.com so form an orderly queue chaps :puffy:
I did last night read up on MSOs recommended Triple Play and that too sounds like it might make an interesting smoke though I should imagine if it is available here in the UK it would be hideously expensive, rather like Jack Knife Plug.
Hugo, surely living in the States you have an abundance of tobaccos to choose from? Also a damned sight less expensive than what we Brits are forced to pay.
Regards,
Jay.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Indeed, there's a plethora here. Unfortunately, I don't care for much of what is available from McClelland or C and D. They're high quality, but they just don't work for me. I don't exclusively smoke plugs, of course, due to availability issues and the fact that one just doesn't always crave the same taste.
It's a fact of life that we always want what we can't have, unfortunately. You would like to be able to purchase American tobaccos and I would be happy with St Bruno and Condor and a few plugs.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Indeed, there's a plethora here. Unfortunately, I don't care for much of what is available from McClelland or C and D. They're high quality, but they just don't work for me. I don't exclusively smoke plugs, of course, due to availability issues and the fact that one just doesn't always crave the same taste.
It's a fact of life that we always want what we can't have, unfortunately. You would like to be able to purchase American tobaccos and I would be happy with St Bruno and Condor and a few plugs.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
UPDATE: My Warrior & Revor plugs arrived this morning, yippee!
One bowl in on Warrior I see it has potential, I struggled a little to get the flavours so the next bowl will be dried a little to see if that improves matters.
One bowl in on Revor I had to throw the towel in at the halfway mark! Initially on light up I thought I was tasting Latakia...yuk! Once going I got that burnt tyres taste that I had once before tasted in Lakeland Dark. This is a very, very strong blend indeed. I shall try the rest of the bowl later in the day but am not optimistic.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
UPDATE2: Revor Plug is ghastly stuff. I'm really struggling to finish my first (and last) bowl. It's not the nicotine content that bothers me it's the flavours. Too much of a burnt rubber taste for my delicate taste buds :oops:
Regards,
Jay.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@mawnansmiff

there appear to be many revor lovers on here so you should have no trouble moving it on if so desired.I have just aquired 4 pouches of it,I have yet to try some so we will see in due course if I too am in your camp.

I love condor/ennerdale/st bruno but am just expanding my plug world having got some G & H dark rum plug and dark aromatic plug as well as some S gawith full virginia plug.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Jay I'd suggest putting in a jar and coming back to it.You would be surprised how your tastes can change over time. Also your trying a lot of new tobacco so the old taste buds might be a little overwhelmed.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@oldreddog

yes trying a bowl as I type,I am having difficulties in keeping it lit.I dried it for about 1/2 hour loaded in my pipe but it may have needed more,or its just my lack of expertise in plugs.

Anyway I am loving the very full taste from it.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Paul, try cube cutting then gravity fill put a little rubbed out tobacco on top and gently tamp. Took me a while to get to grips with plugs,I'm still not expert but I hope that helps.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Dave, I fear no matter when I smoked Revor again I would still taste 'burning tyres'. I appreciate what you are saying regards my trying so many new blends lately but I feel that I am able to determine that this is not one for me and never will be.
I have yet to try my new Brown Bogie (got some cut up and airing) but will later tonight. I thought plug was a little awkward to cut but rope is really damned fiddly! It smells grand mind so fingers crossed. I will try my second bowl of Warrior also later. That wasn't too bad but not a patch on Condor or Erinmore Plug.
Paul, nice to see you use the same supplier as myself. I hope you have more joy with the Revor than I did.
Regards,
Jay.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@oldreddog

thanks for that,a question do you shave and dry only enough for 1 bowl or do you prepare a quantity and then store it in a tin so it is ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.