Aug 18, 2014
Going to try to use this piece of Mesquite. Hope I wont screw it up to bad
sdc10417-600x450.jpg

thanks

John

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How fire resistant is Mesquite? Do you have a piece of the limb or the root there? It arches up

nicely, but it does narrow significantly which might make for a narrow bowl. One of the carvers

in my state works in Mountain Laurel, and it seems to be as good a pipe as briar, although not

as showy with grain. I believe he uses only root. I have three of the Mountain Laurel pipes.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
The Mesquite is denser than Briar there may be a little bit of checking but I doubt it. I have turned some for knobs for walking sticks they were solid.
This is a piece of limb. As I was looking at it I could see a cutty style pipe, or a poker. then slowley I studied it and saw a hybrid cutty/poker. AfterI get it marked up I will post the picture then you will be able to see the hybrid cutty/poker
If you could see the end grain it is very close and tight. This is the same wood that most people like to smoke their ribs, ect. over.
I have most of the tools that will be need execpt the drill bits so it will be awhile before it is done. Will also have to find a stem. Hell I might pull a stem from a Chineese cob and use that.
have a great day

John

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Guys be very careful and do the proper research before using wood types for smoking pipes. Some wood types can be very hazardous to use for smoking tobacco. Don't throw caution to the wind just because you can smoke meat or enhance cooking flavors with some.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/different-materials-used-to-make-tobacco-pipes/
Mesquite is fine and many pipes have already been made using it.

In fact, the article indicates that you have STYLE! :)
"Wood is the more common material used to make tobacco pipes today, and briar is the standard. Briar wood is preferred because it naturally absorbs moisture, resists burning very well, and can be shaped into beautiful pipes with relative ease. Of course, other woods are used including cherry, maple, oak, and mesquite. These other wooden tobacco pipes are more lavish and expensive than the more common briar wood pipe, but make a real statement about a smoker's style."
Check out this Mesquite Lovat:
004-009-4428.jpg

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
terrapinflyer this will answer your question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UuFXZR-FY4
p.s this is the 2ed Dagner video posted today for a help reference

Jan 8, 2013
Mesquite huh? Well this might be interesting. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out :) Keep us posted, John. Pimo Pipecraft should have the drill bits and such you need. I'm willing to bet you'll do just fine.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Right now I have some Black Walnut, Hickory, and some Osage Orange stored away. So if this one dosen't work no loss. This piece of wood is mostly the outside white wood it doesn't have the darker heart wood.
Checked out pipe makers emporium saw the price of drill bits and almost craped myself $100.00 plus to drill the bowl. No way, thinking about using a 5/8" twist bit for the bowl. With funds being short I am trying to be creativative as posible.
John

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Checked out pipe makers emporium saw the price of drill bits and almost craped myself $100.00 plus to drill the bowl. No way, thinking about using a 5/8" twist bit for the bowl. With funds being short I am trying to be creativative as posible.

You don't need those bits to drill a pipe. Tim West ( and I believe Pimo ) sell reground spade bits for about $20.00 each. They work fine.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
And the project begings. As you can see this is becomming a sitter and a cutty, working with these two aspects is going to be a challenge. So I have a feeling this might be Fugly. So I must be Nucking Futs for eveen attempting this.

Found a couple of problems, 1. the cut offs for the stem are not square, 2. there is weather checks on the top of the bowl. 3. To blend in the cutouts is going to be the most challenging.
pipe-start-2-600x450.jpg

Have a good afternoon

John

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I have a few things that drive me. 1. I am a stubborn bull headed Irishman. 2 I am insane. 3. I don't like to flail. 4. Marines don't know how to quit.

Besides it might come together and work, if not I learned something.

Status
Not open for further replies.