Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That seems like it would be totally rewarding. It was a seven dollar sorry looker, and you found its inner royalty. I like my Chacoms, fine smoking pipes.

Reactions: Verdant

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
This wasn't a crazy restoration by any means, but it was fun. Did something risky and bought this off of Ebay for $7 before shipping.

Completed so far:
  • Reamed
  • Alcohol and cotton ball treatment
  • Numerous pipe cleaners and alcohol through the stem
  • Murphy's oil soap cleaning of exterior
  • Sanding of bowl with 1200-12000 grit paper/micro mesh pads
  • Sanding out tooth chatter on stem with 3200-12000 grit micro mesh pads
  • Experimental mineral oil application
    • I know there's controversy around mineral oil, but I (1) didn't want to die this pipe, (2) didn't have die on hand anyway, (3) like a more natural look, and (4) wanted to see how mineral oil would do.
    • I did a very light application of mineral oil on the bowl and stem. After applying the mineral oil to the stem, it makes me wonder if "Obsidian Oil" is just marked up mineral oil put in a pipe-marketing-specific bottle...?. So mineral oil on the stem is a certain success. If I remember to I'll update you on whether there's any weeping, slickness, etc. with the pipe itself. I very much doubt the "pore-blocking" that people allege

To do:
  • Take a jeweler's cloth and toothpick to the "CC" to clean out the tarnishing
  • Fill the 2 or 3 dents... maybe.
    • Should have done this before sanding, but I wasn't decided on whether I would do it or not. I was formerly thinking I liked the character they imparted, but now I'm thinking I'd like the practice of figuring out how to fill dents. I was thinking of just doing super glue and sanding. I don't have access to briar dust otherwise I'd mix in some briar dust with the glue.
Pretty happy with this and surprised by the red hue that the mineral oil brought out. Sorry about the glare in the "after" picture.

Before:
View attachment 103935

After (or part-way complete):
View attachment 103938

If you have any suggestions, I'm happy to hear them! Particularly regarding fills...
Wow, how nice. So I have a question, and please bear with me as I've done zero restoring or refurbishing. How did you sand the stamping and get it lightened up without damaging said stamp? You obviously did not skip it. Is it simply deep enough that it wasn't an issue? Thanks in advance for any reply.

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Wow, how nice. So I have a question, and please bear with me as I've done zero restoring or refurbishing. How did you sand the stamping and get it lightened up without damaging said stamp? You obviously did not skip it. Is it simply deep enough that it wasn't an issue? Thanks in advance for any reply.
Since there weren't any marks over the stamp but there was discoloration I just did the minimum amount of sanding I could over the stamp. I started sanding at a higher grit for the whole stem as well to avoid taking too much off.

Reactions: FLDRD