PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Ok so here is my first finished pipe. I had decided to go with a pear wood kit, since I figured if I messed it up it would be less of a loss as they are cheaper. What killed me was I had finished the carving/sanding and did the first stain/lighting it on fire and a crack appeared on the rim. So I had to go back to carving and reshape the rim. I think the biggest thing I learned is that pear wood does not take stain like briar does. This is also done with only a vise and files. My next one is going to be briar pipe kit.

pear-pipe-kit.jpg
p1310039-600x450.jpg
p1310079-600x450.jpg
p1310080-600x450.jpg
p1310085-600x450.jpg
p1310081-600x450.jpg

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The shape not attractive to me but the finish and connection to the stem look very well done. Looks like a cross between a 4-square and a pot, both of which shapes I do like.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Great finish on it. Also good to know about the pear wood, I’ve been looking at those same kits myself, hope my first turns out half as nicely as yours! How did you buff it out to that nice of a finish?

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
It was a pain. After the first two stains and a light sanding I buffed it with red tripoli. It was ugly. So I sanded it down again with 320 grit hoping to even out the stain but the different sides of the wood acted completely differently in how they were showing the stain. So then I sanded it down again but this time with 150 grit, think I got about 60% of the stain off. At this point though I got the remaining stain to be a bit more even around the bowl. So I did a pretty heavy buffing with red tripoli again, then white diamond and finished up with carnuba wax. It is not what I was aiming for but it was a great learning experience.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Know how difficult it is to carve your own.

Had a briar block given to me by my son last year for my Birthday.

Boy that wood is hard.

Only had rasps, sandpaper and a cheap dremill look a like.

Produced this pipe.

She an’t to much to look at but boy she smokes

img_0020-600x450.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Great looking pipes. I have a kit, but haven't had time to tackle it. Trying to get my garage emptied of stuff so I can set up a vice and work table.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Thanks! The staining is what I’m most hesitant about, I have zero experience staining or finishing wood - but I have been working on tampers and other small projects to get some practice in... How does it smoke?

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Nicely done. I know that the shape you ended up with is nothing traditional; however, there is just something about it that I like.
Oldmansmoking, I also like the look of your pipe.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
So I went ahead and had two bowls of Dunhill Nightcap in my new pipe last night was honestly surprised. It smoked very well and the bowl did not get hot at all. I was expecting it to be a bit heavy for a clincher but I'm guessing because pear wood is less dense then briar it clinched fine and was a good smoker. Yeaaaaa, now time to start planning what I am going to do with my first briar pipe kit.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
Awesome, can’t wait to see your next!
The only thing better than one bowl of nightcap is two...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you did a great job, for a first or fifth pipe. Looks like it will make a good smoker. I'll be interested to hear how working briar compares. I hope the pear holds up over time. I think once you lay down some carbon, it will be comparable to briar, but I don't have any pear wood pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.