PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
.....arrived safely yesterday. It's been a while since I bought a "new" pipe. This is sort of an early birthday present to myself.
The chubby Author is one of my new favorite shapes. I have another Sav I bought from SPC as an estate.
2013-06-01_14-10-10_233_zps2e73000b.jpg

2013-06-01_14-10-35_975_zpsf363a52c.jpg

2013-06-01_14-11-10_946_zpsabe68190.jpg

I ordered 500 g of GH Ennerdale Flake for the cellar. As you can see in the third pic, Rich was kind enough to include two large ( at least 7 grams each ) samples of his blends, Essence of Vermont and Double Fantasy. They smell delicious. I let some of the Essence dry out ( not long enough apparently ) and had a little bowl of it in my "baby" Pete System 317, was good and not goopy.
Question is, what to break the new Savinelli in with? I have some Dunhill Flake I picked up from SPC's storefront when I was on the coast of SC a couple weeks ago .....
Also, I've never broken in a bare-briar bowled pipe, all the Petes I bought new had the pre-carbed bowls

• Sad
Reactions: ozon

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
That is a gorgeous-looking pipe! Right up my alley - I love the chunky look, and you know it's going to smoke cool.
If 'twere me, I'd probably break it in with a sweet Virginia blend, to get it started off right.

ovidsmuse

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
I second starting with a sweet virginia or VaPer. Flakes might be a little tough with that bowl, maybe some of the gl pease fog city line like telegraph hill?

alphaflux

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
United States
Ca c'est une pipe!!!
I love the black with the silver band... Very classy!
Dunhill Flake sounds like a great start for your pipe.

Have fun and thanks for sharing.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Thanks guys !
I have decided to break it in next weekend or possibly the following with Dunhill Flake. Right now I have 8 things open: PS LBF, four of the Planta Year blends, the two samples from Rich and GH Brown Flake Scented .... a bit confusing considering my "regular" rotation is GH BB#2 / SG Commonwealth with some Grousemoor thrown in for variety every other evening. Perhaps I should buy a few more little jars eh ?

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I almost always break in with a non-aro burley, but I'm not sure it really matters.
I've been thinking about a 320/ 320KS lately. Can you comment on the the comfort of the pipe when clenched? I'm looking for something that would be good for using while I'm working at the computer with both hands for breath smoking VAs.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
I have the same pipe but it's smooth! I love it! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. I lost my filters the other day and LOVE the way it smokes without 'em. Congrats on a great little pipe!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
ciderguy, I'm not much of a clencher; and when it seldom happens, no teeth to stem ( unless it's a cob ). This guy is too heavy and not bent enough for me to accomplish that feat.
quincy, I have 3 other Savinelli pipes: a Qandale churchwarden 6mm , a Tris bent ball 6mm and another 320KS which is a Roma with 9mm filter. Because of my smoking technique ( I get carried away puffing at times = bad tongue burn ) I have to at least use the adaptor on the 6mm ones; the Balsa thingie keeps the crap out of the stem .... and the 9mm setup is just impossible to smoke without at least the adaptor ( imagine drawing on a cob without the stem )
edit : yes, I know in my avatar I am clenching but that's a Pete Lovat that weighs half as much as the Savinelli, and I'm balancing my daughter for the picture

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Nice pipe! 4noggins is great, aren't they! They are the only place I order from now.

Jul 15, 2011
rcstan, I have that EXACT pipe, same shape, same finish and everything. You are going to love it. Nice draw, thick, chunky proportions, feels great in the hand. I do agree that clenching it is a bit awkward but I stuck a softy bit on mine and makes it much easier. Mine is a dedicated VA flake pipe, so Im sure that Dunhill flake is a fine choice. I didnt do anything to the bowl, and the bare wood was a pretty easy break in, I just smoked the living hell out of it for about 20 bowls and it is getting a great, thin cake and smokes really really well. Congrats on the score, very well done!

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
Great pipe, as i am still enjoying mine hope the same for you.

i Realy looking to have smoth style from 320 but not sure when i get hit by new purchase fobia :crazy:.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
rcstan & rothnh thanks for letting me know about clenching in the 320 / 320 KS shape. I'll start looking for a 320 non-KS to clench. Sometimes I work at my laptop along the riverfront, and I want something a little nicer than a cob to clench.

hemsworth

Might Stick Around
May 27, 2013
Hey! I ordered the EXACT same pipe last week! What a looker! I can't wait for it to show up!

Status
Not open for further replies.